Wiring led lights in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I followed the instructions of a friend a while ago as how to repair the led lights in the kitchen from the attic. I connected the transformer to the existing wiring using a piece of normal plug cable. I did this with a set of terminal blocks and wrapped them in insulation.

I want to revisit this so I can took the wiring under the insulation in the attic. Is it safe to do so now or should I replace the terminal blocks with something else?

Sponsored Links
Flex is okay to use, I assume the plug flex it is rated at at least 13A and hopefully has an earth conductor within in the sheath.

Terminal connections should be enclosed to prevent accidental contact to live parts and the sheath of the cord, flex, cable should be securely gripped within this enclosure. So taping the joint up is not recommended, all joints should be accessible or a maintenance free method used. The transformers require ventilation so must not be buried within the insulation, if the lighting circuit is protected by a 5A fuse or 6A breaker then providing the cable is rated at double that, then it should be safe to cover in insulation, if not the cable size will need to be increased. So really your jointing needs correcting and you need to confirm the rating of the cable and an earth is present.

Hi there

Thanks so much for that.

I will double check the flex and replace it if it needs it.

Would changing the joints and putting them in a flex connector be more suitable?

Kind regards

Would changing the joints and putting them in a flex connector be more suitable?
It would make it better than it is currently, but the key thing is whether the joints are accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, if the joints are to be hidden in a position where it would be difficult to perform the above, a maintenance free method would be best used, there are maintenance free junction boxes available. http://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...oxes/maintenance-free-junction-box/26606.htm.
This boxes should be available of the shelve at any good local electrical wholesaler/stockist.
If the joint is accessible then a terminal strip and a choc box will do or even a click flow connector, as will a flex connector, the sheath of the flex/cable must be within the enclosure and the flex/cable gripped within it.

Sponsored Links
Thats great thanks.

I will make sure to pick up some choc boxes.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Presumably if the flex is smaller, and would have had a plug top fuse to protect it, you could install an fcu. Most of which include a cord grip.
Are you suggesting that a FCU is installed in the attic space under thermal insulation, as I understand it the OP is asking about a safe manner in which joints can be made in cable in an insulated attic space, so I don't see the necessity for a FCU or any down fusing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back