Wiring light with 2.5mm, from a black, brown&grey (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would i wire this combination, i have a garage with a light switch at the garage door, and at a switch at a personnel door.

I am looking to wire in a light outside (ip55) which would work from the light switch.

i have wired up the light ouside with 2.5mm twin and earth, and planed to use a connector block to splice into the internal switch twin and earth.
On cutting the wire i have found it is black brown grey and earth wire.

How would i wire the connector block? brown to brown, and then black and grey to blue?

Please help, i have no power to my garage at the mo' :oops:

Sponsored Links
What does the existing switch do - is it part of a 2 way system?

Do you intend to fit a 2 gang switch, one switch for existing, one for new?

Is there a neutral at that switch?

Do you own a multimeter?

Why have you wired the light in 2.5mm²?

that is not the light cable.. that is the switch cable..

look in the wiki for 2 way lighting to see what's what..

but i'll explain here in case you can't be arsed..

the brown / black / grey are all live wires ( in some respect. ) ... there is NO neutral there..

the live goes from the light to the first switch, then back from that switch to the light..

from the first switch is also a 3 core strapper cable to the other switch.. which is what you have tried to connect to..

you need to wire off the back of the existing light..

ricicle, you don't read the posts very well do you..
he says it's 2 way in the first line...

electrics:lighting:chockblockhar2w.gif

Reconnect the cable you just cut back together and wait until tomorrow. Then look for the ceiling rose/junction box where the feed cable, switch cable and supply cable meet - that is where you need to take the feed to the light from.

Sponsored Links
Right, update with pics........

this is the switch, nearest the light at the personnel door (this is the wire i cut...

electrics001.jpg

2.5mm from outside light -ready to be spliced into the power cable

electrics002.jpg

ceiling rose.....

electrics004.jpg

And the switch by the garage door....

electrics003.jpg

which way do i connect the the wire then. I want to make sure im doing it right here....outside lights and all that.

Thanks for all your help lads. :!:

You connect the live (brown) conductor of the outdoor light to the ceiling rose terminal with the blue (sleeved brown) conductor (far left)

Then connect the neutral (blue) conductor of the outdoor light to the ceiling rose terminal with the blue conductor (far right)

Connect the earths to the earth terminal and sleeve green and yellow.

Oh and obviously repair the cable you cut in half :p

electrics004.jpg

Too late.....he got there first

If you can I would move the cables off the gang plate. There is a small risk of the cable being damage by the sharp edge.

to clarify, repair cable :oops: !! then get some more 2.5mm and run it from the ceiling rose to the new light.

Top men gents, thanks for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back