Wiring/Lighting issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Newbie here, I have an issue I'm afraid. Totally baffled trying to fit a spotlight at the Mother In Laws. I am no longer in the same building so will try to explain as well as I can!

I have three cores coming to the lighting point. Core one has red, black and earth, core two has red, blue, yellow and earth. Core three has red, blue, yellow and earth.

This is split to 5 choc blocks

Block one: Red from core one and core three
Block two: Red from core two and yellow from core three
Block three: Three earths, one from each core
Block four: Black from core one, blue from core two
Block five: Yellow from core two, blue from core three

I have a twin switch plate, switch one operates the spotlight I am fitting. Switch two operates an external light. I have tried all combinations with the spotlight. I can get permanently on, permanently off or... working with the switch however when the external light is switched on the indoor spot goes out. Originally with this set up I had two indoor spots. They worked perfectly with the switch however when the external light switched on one switched off and... if the internals were off with the external on the internals flashed like disco lights!

Does this need a professional?

Many thanks

Phil Nelson

Sponsored Links
trying to fit a spotlight at the Mother In Laws.
Is this an additional light or a replacement for one already there?

I have three cores coming to the lighting point.
Three cables which contain cores.

Core one has red, black and earth, core two has red, blue, yellow and earth. Core three has red, blue, yellow and earth.

This is split to 5 choc blocks

Block one: Red from core one and core three
Block two: Red from core two and yellow from core three
Block three: Three earths, one from each core
Block four: Black from core one, blue from core two
Block five: Yellow from core two, blue from core three
Ok. To which ones are/were the existing lights connected.

I have a twin switch plate, switch one operates the spotlight I am fitting.Switch two operates an external light.
Have you altered any of the wiring at the switches.

I have tried all combinations with the spotlight. I can get permanently on, permanently off or... working with the switch however when the external light is switched on the indoor spot goes out.

Originally with this set up I had two indoor spots.
Where are they and their wiring now?

They worked perfectly with the switch however when the external light switched on one switched off and... if the internals were off with the external on the internals flashed like disco lights!
So, they did not work perfectly, then.

Does this need a professional?
It would be better, wouldn't it?

Can we have some pictures of the switch wiring? I know you said you weren't there at the moment.

I will not be able to take pictures until next weekend.

So, here is the full story. I arrived boxing day for a drink, she said one of her spotlights was not working and never had, so, as I had dealt with all the lighting in my own house I said I would look another day.

I turned up changed the bulb and nothing. Removed the spot and wired in a ceiling rose. Tried the switch and bingo, both lights working. At this point I did not try the outside light. I removed the rose and then took the spot down that had always worked. I paid no attention to the wiring at this point as I was not expecting an issue.

One week later she provided two brand new spots. I put them in and thought all was well, it was in the week I was told about the disco light effect. Today I removed the new spot from the location that didn't work previously. I hoped this would rectify the problem. It hasn't. The flashing doesn't happen however one light on switches the other off.

Apologies for my lack of trade speak

The five connectors together is unusual and nothing obvious comes to mind.

Tried the switch and bingo, both lights working.
I would think that could have been the correct connections at the light with a miswiring at the switch.

One week later she provided two brand new spots. I put them in and thought all was well, it was in the week I was told about the disco light effect.
Are they LED lights?

I'm sure an electrician on site could solve it very quickly.

Sponsored Links
No, they are not LED and I have not touched anything at the switches. I was wondering if I was caught up in a two or three way switch set up although there are no blanked off points or extra switches in the room

Trade it is, many thanks

No, they are not LED and I have not touched anything at the switches.
No, but it seems to have 'always' been faulty.

I was wondering if I was caught up in a two or three way switch set up
It could be - but I would think that the two gang switch is wired incorrectly.

although there are no blanked off points or extra switches in the room
Ok.

Trade it is, many thanks
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back