Wiring Lights in Parrellel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've briefly touched on this before, but am now at a stage where I need to know for sure; how do I link lights together (in parrellel?) so that they all come on when one switch is operated?

The lights in question are 50W mains halogen recessed spots and each unit is double insulated (i.e. no earth). Each unit has a small black plastic box at the top of it which when unscrewed provides access to 'chocolate block' conectors. Two terminals are available which link to the two flex for the bulb fitting.

I know that I need to insert the live and neutral into each terminal respectively (and that which one doesn't matter!), but how then do I link this to the next one? Do I just double up the reds and blacks or is some jiggery pokery required? What happens at the end of the line? Does it require a cable back to the junction box to complete a 'ring' or can it just terminate at the last unit?

Thanks for your advice!

Mike

Sponsored Links
The live being the switchwire from the switch .... and Yes, just double up the cables at the terminals looping to each light. There is no 'ring ' to worry about, it will just terminate at the last unit[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back