Wiring Log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a cabin in the back garden and use it as an additional living space. I can run electric from the fuse box near the front door of the house - through the roof space to the cabin at the back. It will need to run tv/pc/fridge/lighting/probably an electic heater or two. Also, i will need to power a shower somehow. I know that the electricity supply i have is only rated to power one shower (there are already two in the house - with a switch to prevent them both running simultaneously) - so not sure what I should do to solve this?? Any suggestions?

This is the cabin.

One other query. Is there any issue in running electric cable down through the middle of this type of wall??[/url]

Sponsored Links
it is not a good idea to run cable inside cavities, as you can't see where it is and may drill or nail through it. If the cavity is insulated, this will also cause overheating so you have to double up the cable thickness to compensate (I simplify here) and you mustn't use e.g. expanded polystyrne insulation as it attacks the PVC cable sheathing and insulation and makes it crack. Although not so elegant, I would be much happier with a steel conduit or trunking, I imagine you could put this in a corner where it will not be obtrusive, and paint it or loose-fit some wooden capping to help it blend in. You can do this for the lighting drops too. For sockets, if you run it at low level, it does not catch the eye.

I think this will also look much better than surface-clipped cables.

The good thing about trunking is that it's so easy to take the lid off and make changes later.

You can get it in metal (impact resistant) or plastic which is easily painted with non-drip gloss.

Thanks for that JohnD.

What if I ran the cable within conduit - inside the cavity? Would this be any safer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back