Wiring one and two way two gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two gang switch, one switch is a one way and the other is a two way.

When I unscrewed the old one from the wall one wire fell out but I couldn't work out from where so that was a bit scary.

I've wired it up what I thought was correct but it's tripping when I turn the fuse back on.

On the far switch I have one live going into L1 and one live going into COM.

On the near switch I have two live going into COM which is what was on the old switch and I have one live going to L1 and one live going to L2 however i'm not entirely sure if this is correct.

I've also included a pic of the old switch and a few more pics to show all the wires.

To be honest I think I've mixed up the wires and I stupidly don't have a pic before I started so not sure which one goes where.

I would like the far switch to be the one way switch and the nearest switch to be the two way switch

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That all could be alright so I don't think it will be possible to tell from here.
(Yellow to earth could be alright if an unused conductor.
Red sleeved black which appears to be a Neutral - might not be of course)

Which wire was it that had come loose when you removed the old switch?

It was one of the black with red sleeves I think, I assumed it came out of the old switch marked A-2Way at the bottom

Sponsored Links
Can't see anywhere else likely, but if it was from a switch terminal then there's no way you can create a fault whihc trips a circuit breaker by putting it back into any of the terminals.

Unless you've got two different circuits there, and it's an RCBO tripping on a current imbalance.

You basically have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back