Wiring oven ( no hob) 3200Kw to plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Matsui oven that with runs a max 230(v) - 240(v) and 2950(W) - 3200(W).
It does not have a hob it is just a grill and fan oven. The wiring is 1.5 mm.

I have a plug socket neat behind the oven, could i install the oven to the plug socket.

Thanks you for any replies.

Sponsored Links
the best thing to do is to refer to the mans instructions. it will point you in the right direction. if it is supposed to be hardwired, and you plug it in to a 13 amp ring, then it will cause the oven to malfunction.

on the other hand, af it supposed to be 13 amp and you hardire it in to 32 amp ring, then there is not adequate protection for the oven.

Thanks Knobby,

Out of interest, the ccu is 32 amp what if the oven was say 18 amp rated. How does that work, do you need to get a 18 amp connection.

Back to the OP ... if the oven worked on the plug socket could it be done.

there are some dual fuel ovens that require a 20 amp being installed. I know this is not the same as yours, but the mcb has to be the same rating as the oven. This issue catches a lot of people out.

The manufacturers installation instructions should take preference. that way, if it all goes face upwards, then no one can dispute the installation.

it might be an idea to check out the currys web site for that model and look at the full spec. it will say if it can have a plug attached.

Sponsored Links
another thing I forgot, as the vents on the back of the oven. If the vents are directly in site of where the plug socket is, then this is called the heat zone. no cabling or sockets can be in this area!

Thanks for the tip on heating, there would be sufficient space between the oven and the wall for heat dissipation.

Back to the OP, could you hook the wires into a plug and just plug it into a wall socket.

Say it was a 14 amp rated oven, then at most it might blow the fuse now and then.

3200 watts is going to draw more than 13A at full load so even if the fuse did not blow straightaway then the socket & plug are going to be constantly over loaded with the potenial to overheat. That is the theory & the regulation side of it so no qualfied person is going to tell you it is ok to instal it on a plug top(which is what I think you are looking for).The manufacturers instalation instuctions should be adhered so as not to void the warranty. Knobby 41 has already made these things pretty clear.

The 3200 w is likely the max load of the oven but not what it actually uses as it would include the oven and grill working together when they are often wired so only one can operate at a time.
You need manufacturers guidance as to what is required, probably a 13amp socket. The 13amps can safely have a load of 240 X 13 = 3120watts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back