Wiring Regulations for Extra Low Voltage for RGBW LED Strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at putting some 24v RGBW strips into my ceiling at various points. Current requirements 25w per 5 meter strip, per channel. So about 1Amp per channel. My cable runs will be at most 8 meters to the control unit, running 5 meters of led strip. From my calculations i should be looking at 1mm2 cable for a 0.5v drop at this length.

My question: Can i use something like standard 5 core mains flex in the ceiling, this will be clipped to the joists.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1F5slash50.html

Or perhaps automotive 5/7 core cable at 1mm2? If this isn't allowed, what are sutible alternatives?

Thanks,

Elliot

Sponsored Links
A LED is a current device, so you can run a string of white LED's say 8 in series with a current limiter and all the LED's will have same light output as they are in series, move to 50 volt then 16 in series.

However if you use them in parallel then as you move from the source then unless some pulse width modulated controller is used you will get the LED's slowly getting dimmer as they move away from the power source.

It would depend how run as to if the volt drop can be noticed with naked eye.

To set up lights to look good is very different to lights to see with, and that is the real problem, you would not normally use colour changing strips to light a room with, they are an extra to normal lighting. The only real way is to try, as few strips give the lumen output at varying voltage so it is guess work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back