wiring schematic for underfloor heating system and cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello my first posting, was looling for info on electrical back feeding but ended up here, very informative. sorry for the length of this posting but the subject is hard to shorten. :rolleyes:

I work for a small plumbing and heating firm and iam the one that ends up doing most (all) of the system wiring. need advice on an `S` plan with a difference. underfloor heating manfold and control unit for room stats on 1st floor along with these controls is a 2-port zone valve, this also forms part of the over-heat device on the UFH and so is located on the 1st floor. Located on ground floor is an un-vented cylinder requiring a 2-port zone valve near-by for safety reasons, a switched fused spur (3amp) is also located on ground floor to power the system. um???? the best way to wire the system??. I have 2 lengths of 1.5mm twin&earth running from ground to first floor. my plan is to start on the ground floor come off the spur and in to a 10 way j/b and wire the system up as normal from down here. then connect one of the 1.5 twin&earths running up stairs to perm live on the ground floor j/b in doing so powering up the 1st floor part of the system ( 2nd 10 way j/b)
Here on the first floor will also be a twin channel programmer for the cylinder and heating. i will now use the second length of twin&and earth running from ground to first floor to carry the switched live from the programmer down to the cylinder stat, and also the switched live from the underfloor heating zone valve to the boiler (boiler only requires one live)
So i will be using a length of 1.5mm twin and earth to carry 2 swithched lives and i will make the remaiming wire a neutral (having no earth on this length of wire)
Anyone got any ideas? does this wiring schematic

Sponsored Links
I am sure what you propose will work.

However, I am most unenthusiastic about using the wrong colour for the wrong purpose.

Today I went to what I thought was a failed diverter valve only to find it was a conventional system which a Polish tenant plumber ( and electrician ) had decided to rewire. Perhaps at the same time as he had changed the locks. The ( Polish ) landlady called me to fix it and I was pleased it was a simple wiring job rather than a messy diverter.

The point I am coming to is that system had used yell/green wires as live feeds from the timeclock.

There are/were twin red cables available for wiring two way lighting switches and I like to use them as I dont like blue/black wires which could sometimes be live.

Tony

the sparky first fixed the 1.5mm twin and earth, without my knowledge. I will be sleaving anything used as a live to identify it. And no earth on the second wire just 2 lives and a neutral sounds ok? also do you know anything about night set-back on room stats? Dam pols! was on a re-ferb pollish labour working for a chipy,he took 1.5 inch of the bottoms of all the doors? think the chipy was working in metric haha.

Sponsored Links
As long as the wiring has sleeves placed over the original colours to identify the fact that they are live will keep everyone happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back