Make heatmiser underfloor and radiator system smarter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House is a 1930s semi-detached house that was gutted out and done up ~5 years ago. It's reasonably well insulated.

It has a Valiant system boiler (gas) paired with a Joule unvented cylinder. The hot water is controlled by a honeywell timer, the heating side of it is left on permanently and controlled by a Heatmiser underfloor heating controller.

Ground floor has 5 wet underfloor heating loops treated as 4 zones controlled by 4 Heatmiser Slimline v2 thermostats.
The first floor and the loft have radiators in all the rooms, however they are treated as 1 zone controllled by a Heatmiser Slimline v2 thermostat that's on the landing where there's no radiator.

There are 3 bathrooms in the house, 1 on each floor.

All the radiators apart from the towel radiators have manual TRVs.

The loft has more extreme temperatures compared to the first floor rooms but can only be controlled from the 1st floor thermostat. The first floor rooms also heat up unevenly.

The loft is only occupied 2-3 days a week. The house is occupied day and night.

The utility bills are already quite high for the house, given the rates are doubling I need to find a way to make it more efficient.

As far as I know Heatmiser don't do wireless radiator controllers and it's unpractical for me to run new cables for a wired actuator.

1) Could I replace the first floor thermostat with something like a Tado and replace all the radiator TRVs with wireless ones so that I can treat each upstairs room as a single zone?

2) Is heatmiser neo worth adding on to control the ground floor underfloor heating and hot water so that it can be turned off when the house is empty?

3) Is an airsourced heatpump worth considering to retrofit for the ground floor underfloor heating? I'd want to keep the gas boiler for hot water and upstairs heating as I don't want to replace the upstairs radiators.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, I have no idea, how would I find that out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back