wiring thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have bought a programmable digital thermostat to replace an old turn dial one and wasnt sure about the wiring with it being 2 wire connection.The second picture is how its wired now with the turn dial thermostat and third is how it shows to wire it for a combi but i am adding it as well as the programmer so do i just ditch the neutral?thanks.

Sponsored Links
This doesn’t make much sense, one picture shows a conventional system and the other a combi

yes on the existing thermostat just teminate the neutral by putting it into a terminal strip and isolate it and move it somewhere safe and just use the other two wires

Sponsored Links
Right now i have one going to the thermostat and have it split 3 ways with a wago 222 connector in a junction box near the programmer, ill just disconnect the one going to the stat and leave the 2 going to the programmer and boiler.

Right now i have one going to the thermostat and have it split 3 ways with a wago 222 connector in a junction box near the programmer, ill just disconnect the one going to the stat and leave the 2 going to the programmer and boiler.
yes that is exactly how to do it

Temp-3.jpg

This is how I would wire, so the programmer only controls the DHW time, and the programmable thermostat does CH.

This is how I would wire, so the programmer only controls the DHW time, and the programmable thermostat does CH.
it is a combi boiler and just a thermostat not a programmable room stat
i might consider doing that depending on the options for control on the stat when i get it.
hought you had a combi ? what make and model is your boiler ?

edit, have just noticed that your new thermostat is a programmable room thermostat, so once wired up as described , you will have to leave your programmer set at constantly on, and let the new programmable stat control your heating or it wont work

Last edited:
edit, have just noticed that your new thermostat is a programmable room thermostat, so once wired up as described , you will have to leave your programmer set at constantly on, and let the new programmable stat control your heating or it wont work
This is why my plan by-passes the old programmer for central heating.

However it seems rather basic and I wonder what is missed out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back