wiring to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the 11 Feb I asked if I could wire from C U downstairs ring main to a R C B in our shed and then on to two double sockets and lighting. The answer I received was N O ! That was it, no advice just N O !
Well since then we have re thought the matter and wired from the C U cooker main to the R C B in the shed. Our logic is there is no electric cooker so nothing is overloading and anyway we have the R C B in the shed. By the way the shed is attatched to the house so no wires are exposed to the elements. Will someone please tell me if this is O K . If not please don't scream at me. Give advice please.
I just can't afford a sparks. The person who carried out the work was a D I Y type. We live in a council house and they say that eventually they intend replacing our old C U with a modern type. At the moment we still have the old fuse wire plug in. Is this permitted with a power shower? When we asked the council they said its ok to have a power shower off this old CU system.

Thanks in advance.

BE HAPPY

Sponsored Links
whether it is ok depends on what cables, fuse rating, distance, cable install method, type of cable (armoured / T+E). Hope you disconnected any cable that was on the cooker fuse before. Tell us all of the above and we will tell you if its ok.

Cant afford a sparks? Would you be able to afford to rebuild your house when it burns down and insurers dont pay out due to lack of certs for new circuits etc? :rolleyes:

Again it depends on rating of the power shower, and the type of fuse box. some can and some cant handle this load. Post a picture of your mains incoming and fuse box, we may be able to tell you.

crafty1289 said:
whether it is ok depends on what cables, fuse rating, distance, cable install method, type of cable (armoured / T+E). Hope you disconnected any cable that was on the cooker fuse before. Tell us all of the above and we will tell you if its ok.

Cant afford a sparks? Would you be able to afford to rebuild your house when it burns down and insurers dont pay out due to lack of certs for new circuits etc? :rolleyes:

Again it depends on rating of the power shower, and the type of fuse box. some can and some cant handle this load. Post a picture of your mains incoming and fuse box, we may be able to tell you.

Thank you for your reply. Do my best to answer your questions.
The fuse rating on the C U cooker fuse is as was on installation. The Wires that were in the cooker fuse were moved to upstairs mains fuse because that gets little or no use. All the wiring we obtained from a sparks who was working for a local electrical contractors. Wire from C U is heavy grey. the distance from C U to shed is 2 mtrs max. Then into rcb
which is a screwfix 40 amp 1X16A + 1X6A 240/400volt unit is called Clipsal cost £30:00 Can't do photo of C U box but from left to right 3 red fuses 1 Blue fuse 2 White fuses. Main power in to house is fused 100A 415 volts Thats the box outside the house. Cant see power of power shower but can read it is protected by 3A fuse. Does any of this sound logical to you. Thanks.

your power shower is in fact a pumped unit which takes hot and cold. doesn't contain an electric element. You need a fused spur for this, not a new circuit. An electrically heated shower would be a different kettle of fish . . .

"heavy grey" is not a type of cable. I'm guessing that its twin and earth (oval shape). Where does this run? It shouldn't run outside without protection.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
your power shower is in fact a pumped unit which takes hot and cold. doesn't contain an electric element. You need a fused spur for this, not a new circuit. An electrically heated shower would be a different kettle of fish . . .

"heavy grey" is not a type of cable. I'm guessing that its twin and earth (oval shape). Where does this run? It shouldn't run outside without protection.
Thanks for that. It is a power shower pumped unit. The shed is attatched to the side of the house. None of the cable is exposed to the elements/ Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back