Wiring UK Exterior Porch Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've removed a faulty exterior porch light and purchased a new one hoping it would be a simple unwire - rewire job! If only!!

Mains wiring is:
2 red wires, one black wire, 2 green/yellow wires.
Light wiring is:
one blue wire, one brown wire, one green/yellow wire.

I have wired as follows:
2 red to brown, 2 house green/yellow to light green/yellow and black to brown. I can hear the light sensor working but the bulb does not illuminate.

The bulb is not faulty. Have i wired this wrong or is the light faulty?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Household Supply:
Black - Neutral
Green/Yellow - Earth
Red - Switched Live

Light Fitting:
Blue - Neutral
Green/Yellow - Earth
Brown - Live

Where does the other red wire come from? If you can hear the PIR click then it must have power hence you are looking at a faulty fitting or blown lamp.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out what it does first, could be a permanent live or a supply to another light? Old PIR override wire? How was it connected to the old one? If it isn't doing anything then terminate it into a spare piece of chock block inside the fitting where it isn't going to come to any harm.

I think i need both reds (household) connected as the light switch operates the exterior light in two ways:

1 - PIR activation only
2 - Light constantly on

Hope this helps?

So when the indoor switch is off the lamp works on the PIR and when the indoor switch is on the lamp is lit permanently? How many terminals inside the new light fitting? Is there one with Ls or Switcch or similar along with the original live, neutral and earth wires? It may be that the new light can be turned on constantly by switching off and back on within a few seconds?? The fact you can hear the PIR operate and the light doesn't work says dodgy fitting too.

Sorted. I had wired it correctly. The metal tube in the connector block that came with the light had broken away and there was insufficient connection.

Replaced connector block and all's well!

Lesson - check the crappy parts that come with fittings!

Thanks for all the advice. Hope my wiring as above is of use to anyone in similar predicament.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back