Wiring up an extractor fan

I think common sense is far more important, OK I can also be a bit pedantic at times, but clearly causing confusion, so just use 13A plug and 3A fuse, forget all the rest, you don't need to know is still my answer to @Keitai

As to following IET/BSi regulations or manufacturers instructions so many are made general so same applies to all is becomes a little silly, with battery operated devices saying BS7671 must be followed, and often clearly never updated as so often called IEE not IET and it did change some years ago so I would use them as guidance only, and be more interested in common sense.

OK the attitude if all else fails read the instructions is also clearly wrong, but just recently @stem pointed out the requirement for type A RCD's where most houses have type AC when fitting one make of boiler, I am sure most of use would not be fitting a dedicated type A RCD for the boiler, we use some common sense, and assess the risk.

And to harp on about if a 13A or 3A fuse is used just confuses people, we know with a cooker hob 3A is OK so why confuse by trying be be cleaver.

so just use 13A plug and 3A fuse

Sponsored Links
I think common sense is far more important ...
I agree, and I think that ('informed') common sense should probably over-ride ...
.... As this is a forum aimed at DIYers, I would assert that it is bad advice to post guidance that contradicts this [the manufacturer's instruction]".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think most instructions say the item must be fitted by a qualified electrician.
Define "qualified electrician" would passing a science 'O' level be enough, or passing as a radio ham, or working with a guy for a month? The regulations refer to having the knowledge required etc. It does not say needs level 2 or level 3 or level 5 in some electrical subject and as all who have the qualification know the level 3 C&G 2381 needed you to be able to read a book.

My dad was the technical electrical superintendent of a multi fuelled 50 MW array of power stations, and all his paper qualifications were mechanical. But no one would claim he was not an electrician.

The very famous Austrian who failed his engineering and physics degree, is seen as one of the greatest electrical engineers of all time, no one would say Nikola Tesla was not an electrician, but hard to prove on paper qualifications.

So what is "a qualified electrician"?

I'm more concerned about the unnecessary 'up' in the thread title. :whistle:
You may not accept that the Macmillan Dictionary is sufficiently authoritative, but ...

upload_2020-1-27_17-52-46.png

Kind Regards, John

And if the manufacturers instructions are blatantly wrong and dangerous?

In what way are they blatantly wrong or dangerous?

The OP has come here asking for advice, presumably because they want their new extractor fan to be safe.

MI states 3A fuse and that can be easily accomodated in a BS1363 plug.
MI states omnipole circuit breaker and that is easily achieved with the use of a plug.
MI states must not be connected to earth and that is easily achieved by only using a 2 core cable, oh it seems the manufacturer has already provided that.

None of those points are dangerous and none of those points are blatantly wrong.

However the following [amongst other good comments] are good sensible advice which satisfies the small part of the MI that I've seen.
The installation instructions for the UK - shown above - say that the fuse should be 3amp.
As this is a forum aimed at DIYers, I would assert that it is bad advice to post guidance that contradicts this.
The plug has a fuse in it and pulling out the plug is better than a switch.

The very famous Austrian who failed his engineering and physics degree, is seen as one of the greatest electrical engineers of all time, no one would say Nikola Tesla was not an electrician, but hard to prove on paper qualifications.

I thought he was Croatian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back