Wiring Weirdness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo.

I'm going to be working on replacing the sockets in the kitchen. I have a single ring for the sockets of the house, including the kitchen (the house is quite small).

I traced the wiring and disconnected the ring cables on either side of the kitchen so there should still be power to the rest of the house, although not on a ring any more. This is for no more than a couple of days, and the rest of the load will be TV, video and a couple of lamps (Oh and the PC :).

The problem is this. One of the sockets which is nearest the break in the ring (at the end of the new radial circuit if you like) isn't working.....

The live wire into the socket is making my test screwdriver glow, as is the neutral when the socket switches are put on. All the three wires are definitely connected correctly. I've tried two different face plates and three different plugs and none of them is asking more than 3 amps.

My eyes and my knowledge say it should work, but the results are defying this. My only guesses are:

1. The socket is at the far end of a radial, and the current is less here. Is that likely? We're talking 50-75 feet of cable and a socket 10 feet away (the next one down) is fine.

2. The neutral heading back to the next socket down is faulty in some way. Would the circuit show live at all if there was no working return through neutral? I suppose it would.

P.S. no plug fuses have blown in any of this. Well none that I'm aware of. Like I said, I've tried 3 different plugs.

Appreciate some help on this folks. Thanks!

camieabz

Sponsored Links
The circuit needs to be tested properly and the results posted here so that someone can help.

Yes, I had a think after the post last night. I was really tired, and didn't want to muck around late on.

I'll test the other end of the neutral for any current, and if necessary, I'll swap in another cable for testing.

Sponsored Links
While you are at it, throw away the neon tester and get some proper test equipment, and replace the MCB with a smaller one, as you've now got 2.5mm² radials with inadequate protection.

lol ban, missed that in the original post.

Isn't about time these bl**dy things were made illegal. I suppose its one step up from a wet finger test, but not much.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm making sure I'm keeping the load light for the 2 days. It's a 30A fuse BTW.

If there was load, and a sound neutral there would be :LOL:

Just look for a dodgy connection, and use a CONTINUITY meter to located the break in the neutral if it appears to be in the cable between sockets rather than at a socket.

Found it. The other end of said neutral wire had popped out of the socket fitting on the next link down. :eek:

No harm done, and all is fine now. Thx all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back