Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
working in a house (plastering) while a joiner fits a kitchen downstairs and adding some sockets by extending the ring, as he and the joiner were talking something he said niggled me and this is what i think they have done:

2 lives in existing socket, one is live other is not (suspect a broken ring or a radial) they have then wired the new ring sockets to this, i spoke to the joiner who insisted there will be a voltage present on one side of the ring wire and none on the other ?

Sponsored Links
i spoke to the joiner who insisted there will be a voltage present on one side of the ring wire and none on the other
How is this joiner competent to test and certify his work if he thinks that?

already said that and about rcd and bonding etc etc - but what now, tenant is nice old bloke

Sponsored Links
Then you don't let some incompetent cowboy take advantage of, and possibly endanger, a nice old bloke.

was back today, and maybe shouldn off but ive done this -

disconnected one leg of ring at board, went round with volt tester till i found a old socket buried in wall (wires in choc but not joined.)

re-con other end of leg and did same, after joining two ends i now believe the ring is infact a ring.

as for everything the kit fit has done, it now seems correct (i say correct lots of none compliance with regs i think)

told tenant prob best to get spark to look or inform someone (not sure who)

original ring back as it was kitchen i wouls say no but i figured rather ensure ring is extended as it should be and not ring added to broken ring,

i also see your point, prob is i dont know who to tell and could do with some advise

Start with a letter to the landlord and inform him of what's happened.
Let him know that the tenant is fully aware of the potential problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back