Thanks for all the replies so far. This is the update after continuity testing:
Update: I’ve traced the wiring further and found that the problem/upstairs stat is
not actually fed from the Wiser programmer at all — and, as far as I can tell, wasn’t fed from the old ESi programmer either. Instead it has a
permanent live from a separate junction behind the programmer.
The working downstairs stat is different: it is fed directly from
Wiser CH1, and its switched live goes to
STAT 2 (3) on the PCB.
The upstairs stat’s switched live goes to
STAT 1 (3), so with the old stat bypassed its permanent live is effectively keeping that input permanently called, which would explain the upstairs valve staying open.
Even stranger, continuity testing shows the wire on
Wiser CH3 — previously the old ESi
CH2 heating output — actually goes to
P/L (pump live/run-on) on the PCB.
So:
- why would old ESi CH2 have been connected to P/L?
- can I repurpose the existing upstairs live-feed cable so it is fed from Wiser CH3 instead, making it behave like the working downstairs zone?