Wobbly floor upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just buying a small terrace (around 100yrs old) and the upstairs floors wobble when my husband walks across them! He is a big chap ;)

None of the surveyors, who have looked at the house, have mentioned it as a problem but our builder wants to remove the upstairs floors and downstairs ceilings (with a partition wall to the bathroom) and replace the joists. This will be expensive.

Are there any easier/cheaper options? Noggins between the joists and new, decent, chipboard flooring panels screwed down, maybe?

Sponsored Links
GillC said:
We are just buying a small terrace (around 100yrs old) and the upstairs floors wobble when my husband walks across them! He is a big chap ;)

Could it be that the floor (boards?) are wobbling because the movement over the years have caused the nails in the boards (to connect them to the joist) have 'generated' larger holes? i.e. the 'loose' boards are creating the wobbling.
Or has your builder found proof that's the joists that are causing the problem?

No proof of anything.........the joists are 6 x2 (apparently) which he says is normal for a house of that size and age.

Sponsored Links
If you have access to the house, why not check for yourself if it's the floorboards? If you can move them (rock them, I hope you know what and how I mean) separately then it might just be the boards and not the joists.
Try to find the nails and see how the surrounding area of the nailhole in boards looks like.

Hope it's any help to you.

If the joists is loose then it will need tighten in the wall with wedges plus some extra noggins with chipborad flooring with screws but I need to see the photo of the joists in the wall if possible.

Just a quick question - what type of survey did youe have - valuation/full structural etc. Personally I would ask the surveyor to check the area of concern before you conclude the purchase.

PS There is no such thing as a decent chipboard panel - give me planking anyday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back