Advice regarding timber floor in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed, we have a timber floor in lounge and has become bouncy in the alcove. a joiner came round to assess it and says once joists are replaced he will replace my floorboards with green moisture chipboard.... is this allowed to be used downstairs as i know newbuilds have chipboard upstairs. im happy with the chap who came about replacing joists etc. i just want to be sure chipboard can be used downstairs before i let him proceed with job. advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It can be used on ground floors but for the little difference in cost ask him to fit plywood, all round a safer bet with much better resistance to damp and less likely to squeak, should you employ him that is.

More important though is finding out why the existing joists are bouncing, is the ventilation adequate, were they undersized, have they rotted etc etc? Bit of investigating to be done before you just replace with the same :!:

hate the stuff,id put back floor boards if it was mine.
hopefully he will also check out the plates in the effected area aswell.
as above check the ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back