Floor board advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for posting this twice (in woodwork also) but I just came across this area of the forum and thought the post would be more relevant here.

I've taken out an old 18mm chipboard suspended floor from the ground floor, apart from the area beneath a u-shaped staircase - used as storage cupboard.

I want to replace it with 22mm PTG floorboards but I'm not sure how to go about removing the chipboard around the staircase - there is the central stud wall, support pillar and the staircase itself all secured to the joists through the chipboard floor.

Should I just leave this area as chipboard and just use 18mm floorboards so the height matches? The timber merchant near me had 18mm 6inch boards and 22mm 5inch boards - would there be much difference in structural performance between these?

Most of the floor will be carpeted - what is the best way to secure the boards. Secret nail/screw or just screw through from the top? It just seems very hard later to lift any boards up for access to sub floor if the boards are screwed through near the tongue at an angle ??

Any help appreciated

Harry

Sponsored Links
The 22/5" boards would obviously be 'stronger', but that is not the overriding consideration; being narrower than the 6" boards, they will shrink less and the gaps will be a little narrower, and it would give a better floor.
But why are you replacing chipboard with t&g if it is to be carpeted? If you need access to the sub floor, it will still be a pain lifting t&g, however it is fixed.

I'm not sure how to go about removing the chipboard around the staircase
Multicutter.

Chipboard is an awful material, it belongs on the bonfire.

You can make access traps when building the floor. Preferably in corners where they will get less traffic and it will be easier to turn back carpets.

The 22/5" boards would obviously be 'stronger', but that is not the overriding consideration; being narrower than the 6" boards, they will shrink less and the gaps will be a little narrower, and it would give a better floor.
But why are you replacing chipboard with t&g if it is to be carpeted? If you need access to the sub floor, it will still be a pain lifting t&g, however it is fixed.

Ok thanks Tony. So 22mm would be better. I took up the floor to insulate, and for rewiring/plumbing. The joists also had no noggins between and v little support underneath. After all that I don't really want to put chipboard down again - not a big fan of it from the little experience I have.
Floorboards seem easier for a DIY one man install, I can leave them exposed in entrance and kitchen if the finish is up to scratch and just generally a more solid floor even it is to be carpeted. Would you agree? Is there another alternative you would suggest?

I'm not sure how to go about removing the chipboard around the staircase
Multicutter.

Chipboard is an awful material, it belongs on the bonfire.

You can make access traps when building the floor. Preferably in corners where they will get less traffic and it will be easier to turn back carpets.

Thanks for the input, John. I think a multicutter would help get a close and hopefully neat cut.

Joists are at 400mm - should the boards be supported in between or cut to finish on the joists? They are not TG on all 4 sides.

Sponsored Links
when you cut boards, short ends must be supported, usually on a joist, failing that, a noggin.

By staggering the joins, the uncut boards beside the joint will give it a little support by the T&G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back