WOCESTER 9.24 BF ELETRONIC COMBI BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody help?

My above boiler has a fault, the pilot light keeps going out with a loud click noise when it happens. The pilot goes out wether the heating program is running or when on standby. This happens daily and always more than once, if i'm lucky it may stay alight throughout the whole heating program i've selected or it can also go out at night whilst on standby and then wake up to a freezer of a house!

The only thing i've done is replace the thermocouple.

Don't no if this problem is related but before the above problem developed, the boiler on occasion (maybe 2-3 times a week) would click insanely when the heating program started this would last for about the 1st hour of the program, and would cause the radiators to not heat properly until the clicking had settled down. Each click would be followed by the sound of the boiler flame firing up?

Any help or light shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated as my missus is a wimp and any temp in the house under 80'c is deemed unacceptable!

Sponsored Links
As you have a permanent pilot light then I wonder if your boiler really is an "Electronic" model?

Be aware that your boiler is now getting to be 20 years old and you should be saving up for its replacement.

It would often be a failed thermocouple which is not operating although as you say you have replaced it then it must be something else and that may need a CORGI as gas safety and combustion are involved.

Apart from checking cleanliness and tightness of the thermocouple connections I dont think there is much more than I can safely advise you.

Tony

Funnily enough, I called a guy out to my Worcester 9.24 Electronic today, and told him the pilot light went out intermittently. Imagine my surprise when he told me it didn't have a pilot light.

We've agreed that it does, even though the boiler describes itself as electronic.

If I remember right the 9.24 E has a driver board and that will probably be causing the clicking which is actually the Gas valve solenoid chattering and will break eventually :!:
The pilot could be either blocked or the Overheat stat thats knackered or well on its way.
Also check out the pump overrun stat. Many people over look them and they are a classic for intermittant outage.

Would be useful to know if the pilot went out while the flames were on ie during demand or when the boiler is upto temperature.
If you have a Multimeter you can check the O/H stat output using Millivolt scale.
Really if you are getting down to these problems you need an engineer out.

Stan

Sponsored Links
I thought the 9.24 E was the real electronic version with a spark ignited pilot which is lit when there is a call for heat?

Its quite confusing calling a boiler "Electronic" when all the other makes use that term for a boiler which does not have a standing pilot.

Tony

Very true Tony.

To be honest I cannot remember either way

I seem to remember it was the 9.24 RSF got full sequence ign. He probably has the 9.24 BF which does have the driver board but had the red spark button fastened to the top of the gas valve.
Ahh its all coming back....

Stan

Thanks for all your suggestions, although i'm moderatley handy I think it's a job for an engineer. It's good to have a few ideas as to what it could be, gives me half a chance against any dishonest "gunna cost you" types!

There was the suggestion that it could either be pump overun stat, driver board or overheat stat, roughly how much is an engineer likley to charge to fix any of the above problems.

Many thanks to all replies, much appreciated.

Cant remember tbh. P/overrun £10 o/h Stat probably £20 :?:

PCB upto £100 :?:

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back