Wocester Bosch Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have decided to have a Worcester Bosch (WB) TD200 controller and an WB RT10 thermostat installed on on a WB 42CDi combi.

Work is being done by a COrgi engineer. However Iam going to run the cable from stat to controller(if needed). However Iam unsure having looked at the instructions for both stat and controller what is the correct cable to use (instructions hint at possible requirement to be shielded) and indeed if currently used cable, which is a traditional analogue thermostat may be suitable (standard 3 core - live ,switched live and earth).

Advice from anyone with experience of such an arrangement would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit the DT20 RF kit. Plug the programmer into front of boiler. Screw digistat to wall. Comission. Finish. Takes about 15 minutes. Costs about £110

Existing cable should be ok, it is probably only a digital signal going down it.

Richsoft said:
Why not fit the DT20 RF kit. Plug the programmer into front of boiler. Screw digistat to wall. Comission. Finish. Takes about 15 minutes. Costs about £110

Thanks for reply.

I can see benefits, particulary to the electrics averse out there, with the RF types.

However, I prefer to have a hard wired thermostat ie no battery replacment, or other potential signal problems that I believe can be experienced with RF types

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Existing cable should be ok, it is probably only a digital signal going down it.

gas for you

Thanks for reply.

I guess I might try with existing cable and then just upgrade if necessary to a better spec of cable. Although Iam suprised at the poor qulity of the worcester installation instructions.

I'm not familiar with the WB system but does it rely on low voltage to the room stat?

If so, you need to make sure that the existing cable that you propose using does not run alongside existing mains cables (i.e. where they both pass through holes drilled in the first floor joists). If this is the case then you need to be aware of induced voltage caused by the 240v mains in the cable that served the old room stat. This can cause havoc with low voltage data signals and was one of the main causes of malfunction in the old Honeywell AQ6000 systems.

giblets said:
I'm not familiar with the WB system but does it rely on low voltage to the room stat?

If so, you need to make sure that the existing cable that you propose using does not run alongside existing mains cables (i.e. where they both pass through holes drilled in the first floor joists). If this is the case then you need to be aware of induced voltage caused by the 240v mains in the cable that served the old room stat. This can cause havoc with low voltage data signals and was one of the main causes of malfunction in the old Honeywell AQ6000 systems.

Yes it does run on low voltage 10-15v Dc according to blurb. What sort of shielded cable would you recommend as the cable has to run alongside the boilers mains supply cable.

Read the M I's as quite often, as with the Vaillants I fit, you can run side by side but only for a certain maximum distance. In Vaillants case it is 30M.

I do not know Worcesters details.

gas4you said:
Read the M I's as quite often, as with the Vaillants I fit, you can run side by side but only for a certain maximum distance. In Vaillants case it is 30M.

I do not know Worcesters details.

Dave

Instructions aren't that specific and just refer to possible requirement to shield (run is only abouit 18m at most and not all alongside mains cable) Instructions gives avery generic "standard", cable type, code . attched is link to instructions http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=site.viewFile&id=156600

My other concern is connecting(boiler installer seems unsure)as three cores are shown on installation figs but only two connections on wiring digram (see page 10 in manual)

Iam assuming from wiring diagram that only two cores are needed. For the Dc signals

Simon

I have followed the link you have given but like you I find this no useful help on specific installation criteria concerning any distance etc. The only bit I can see that relates to anything is a minimum space of 100mm between 230V and this cable.

I can now see more reasons why I don't fit worcester :rolleyes:

I can only suggest that you call Worcester technical for advice.

There are several on here who fit worcester and really like them and understand them. They are apparently good boilers but I find them too complicated to want to install them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back