Wolsey WPS100/1 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today, our TVs (all of with Freeview boxes) suddenly started started displaying "No Signal".

We have a masthead booster up on the roof powered by a Wolsey WPS100/1 power supply plugged in downstairs.

I had a quick look up at the roof aerial and it looked to be OK and pointing in the correct direction. I have no way to get up on the roof to see if the booster on the actual aerial is OK or not.

I then had a look at the downstairs power supply unit, thinking maybe a fuse had blown, but it had a green light showing so I didn't think that could be the problem. But when I looked a bit closer at it, I noticed a slight darkening of the casing and when I turned it over, the marks were much darker and it seemed to have all the hallmarks of having "blown". There was also a faint 'burnt' smell.

But what's confusing me is the fact that the green light still glowed when I switch it on. All logic would suggest to me that if the unit had blown, that wouldn't be the case.

Hence my question here - does anybody know if these units can blow and lose their main function, yet still show a green light...?

Or does the fact that it is still lit indicate that the problem with a lack of signal lies with the other part of the set up - the rooftop booster...?

Sponsored Links
The green light isn't a reliable indicator. I've seen it on other models of PSU where simply shows the presence of power, and then others where power is still on but the light goes out when there's a short on the coax cable.

You need to watch out for STBs and TVs outputting 5V or 12V antenna power too. I've seen it where this has been disabled in the menus, but then a firmware update has re-enabled it and it has caused the premature failure of a PSU.

It's rare to find that the masthead amp is faulty unless it has become exposed to the elements.

We don't know where you are. The fact you have a masthead amplifier implies you are in a poor signal area. Perhaps your local transmitter is on half power for maintenance, perhaps it has failed alltogether. Ask your neighbours if they have problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back