Women and Comedy - Don't mix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sticking my head above the parapet on this one, but why is it that most women are missing the comedy gene?
I'm the first to admit that some women are very funny, Victoria Wood, Dawn French etc. But on the whole, most women seem to lack something when it comes to being funny. Or am I wrong?

I mean, you don't very often hear women say "Did you hear the one about ...?
And when a woman does tell a joke, what happens to the punchline?
"...and the man said, wait for it, ..not on a friday! Ha ha ha ha ha." Deafening silence, "Or was it something about umbrellas...or fish...?"

Now i'm not being sexist and knocking the female species :evil: If there is a god, then women were his/her best creation. They just don't, in my opinion, seem to be able to do jokes and general funnyness. Is there a reason for this?

I now sit back, and wait to get totally slated by the women on the site.

Sponsored Links
T Spark

I agree with you, ;) women comedians ( stand up ) are no where near as good as men, i don't know if it's the way they tell them or what, but they are not a patch on men. :)

I would go one step further and say there are no decent male comedians anymore either.

They all seem to rely on bad language and smut these days.

The auto censor now makes my post look worse. :eek:

I only wrote *mut and it now looks like s***. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with your comments chaps. But I'm not only meaning famous people. I mean women down the pub, or at work etc. They just don't seem to do jokes.

I'm inclined to agree with you all guys. Must say though that the series of Tittybangbang that was on a few months ago was so stupidly funny. Even my 15 yr old son liked it.

Can't stand some male 'comedians' either - Chubby Brown is just so gross he makes me feel like puking.

No..I must admit theres not many women who make me laugh...I love 'funny women'..personality wise..but as for comediennes...no..Dawn French I loath and Jennifer Saunders (allthough I agree, they are talented)...abfab only seems to appeal to women and a small amount of men...my wife laughs at it but doesnt know why!! :confused:

Ruby Wax...oh no no no no please...

Jo Brand used to be very funny but you can only get away with the 'look at me im a fat sex mad smoker and proud of it' stuff for so long...

Joan Rivers=Ruby wax's grandmother!

Personally speaking I find most sitcoms with women in come across as cheap looking and over acted like a school play

IMO Catherine Tate is pure genius though...absolute talent

Thing that winds me up about comedy is the double standards...Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson does a c*on joke...and all the pinkos are crying about 'racism'...Ben Elton does one about the smelly French or the arrogant krauts...and its all 'fnar fnar fnar' around the fondue set at suburban dinner party.

What so many area's need is a decent, fair priced comedy club!

Male and female there is so much talent out there, far better than the like of chubby brown, just building a reputation on racism and filth!

perhaps women would find women comedians more funnier than men would and vice versa? could it be that humour is a selective process and for someone to find something funny they need to relate to it? Maybe that's why it's easier for a male comedian to know what triggers a reaction from another male or female to female?

Kendor, I don't actually find many women comedians funny at all. I detest Catherine Tate & can see why the Queen and old Phil the Greek were 'not amused' ;)

I like The Vicar of Dibley & Tittybangbang but so do the men in the family. My fave comedian (well sort of) is Eddie Murphy, I can't look at his face without laughing as I know he's usually got something 'wicked' to say :LOL: I also like Jethro because he makes fun of day to day stuff.

Oh yeah, and I freely admit to watching Little Britain with my 15 yr old but some of the sketches make me wonder about them....

Brightness said:
Kendor, I don't actually find many women comedians funny at all. I detest Catherine Tate & can see why the Queen and old Phil the Greek were 'not amused' ;)

I like The Vicar of Dibley & Tittybangbang but so do the men in the family. My fave comedian (well sort of) is Eddie Murphy, I can't look at his face without laughing as I know he's usually got something 'wicked' to say :LOL: I also like Jethro because he makes fun of day to day stuff.

Oh yeah, and I freely admit to watching Little Britain with my 15 yr old but some of the sketches make me wonder about them....
I thought the talk was of ordinary men and women and not celebrity comediennes?
agreed with you on Catherine Tate that was embarassing and not at all funny but she seems to appeal to my daughter :)
my comment was really to do with ordinary men and women, don't you find you laugh more with your girlfriends than with men? you have more to relate to with their conversation.

Sponsored Links
Back