Wood Burner and Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow. With radiators in each of the rooms of this bungalow controlled by a nest thermostat which is in the hall. In one of the rooms (living) I have a wood Burning stove.
In the evening, once the house has got up to a decent temp from radiator heat in the afternoon, I don’t like to heat the whole house as we spend our time in the living room which is heated by said stove.
In the mornings I’d like to heat just the living room (using radiators) and not the whole house for the above reason again.
Can someone reccomend a way to heat just the living room in the mornings? And have the living room switch off automatically when we are using the stove?
Does this even make sense?
D.

Sponsored Links
You need a second zone and a second nest. The lounge would be a zone in its own right which you could control independently from the rest of the house using the nest in the lounge. You'd set the main house nest to come on at whatever time and temperature you wanted the main house to be at and then the lounge nest could run a completely different programme. You'd set the lounge to come on in the mornings and go off at whatever time you felt was appropriate. The lounge programme could overlap with the times you have the woodburner running because it would turn the heating off in the lounge when the room was up to temperature, irrespective of whether that heat came from the radiators or the woodburner.

Webber,
Only solving half your question -> "have the living room switch off automatically when we are using the stove"

With the room which has my stove in, I have a TRV on the radiator set at about half way.
Then when stove comes up to temp, the TRV sees room is warm, that radiator goes off, but all other radiators in house stay on.

Regarding controlling the other rooms in house.
You can control each and every radiator in house separately by using WiFI controlled TRV's on every radiator. But this can get expensive.
The two to look at are:
Drayton Wiser
and
Honeywell EvoHome

https://www.google.com/search?clien...i67k1j0i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i10k1.0.RyqjcAmFB8Q

SFK

Cheers. Live in an old bungalow and am from Australia so don’t know how TRV’s work because ours don’t seem to! So with say a Drayton trv4, if the lounge gets up to temp, the FRB will shut off the rad?

Sponsored Links
Webber,
"So with say a Drayton trv4, if the lounge gets up to temp, the FRB will shut off the rad based on the number you have dialed into it", Yes

Drayton trv4 are a reliable TVR and work well. And relatively easy to replace if it has gone wrong as readily available.

See this for a nice intro to TRV's
https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/thermostatic-radiator-valves-trv/

But yes basically you dial in a number on the TVR that matches you comfort level.
Start low first, say 3.
The TRV valve will be open/on when room is cold and if CHeating is on then radiator will be warm.
As the room warms up from either the radiator or your Log Burner, the TVR will get hot and switch and close the valve, switching off that radiator.
If it does it a bit too early then increase the number slightly on the TVR.

There are issues with this. The TVR tends to be in the corner or room, low down and behind the sofa or table. So its response as the room heats tends to be slow.

Trick is through trial and error to get the number right on your TVR in your rooms, and they then work okay.

If you think you TVR is not working, dial it down to off or the Snow Flake (frost protection so should only come on if room gets very cold) and see if radiator is goes off (when CHeating is on). If it does not go off then the Valve pin may be stuck. Then take off the TVR (only the white plastic bit) form the valve and see if the metal plunger pin on the valve can be pushed down (it can be stiff).

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back