wood burners and gas fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody,

During the cold winter months, if for example, I was to have either a gas fire on full, or a wood burner that burns solid fuel as well, and at the same time the central heating was NOT on, In my opinion, one room would be heated, but the rest of the property (open plan bungalow) would be cold.
On the other hand, if I had the central heating on, that would obviously heat all rooms because there is a radiator in each room.
my question is ......what is the point in either a gas fire or a wood burner?

Sponsored Links
1. it's nice and ambient

2. why heat the whole house and bear the cost of the heat losses to the whole building if you are only using a single room.

3. a wood burner using coppiced wood is CO2 neutral and sustainable

4. if you improve the insulation on your home a wood burner will heat it fully.

Friends in Norway heat their 4 bed detached home on a wood burner and 2 mobile oil fired rads in the hall and landing, because the Norwegians understand insulation.

It's to do with nostalgia.

Us oldies brought up with a coal fire to heat the whole house, appreciate the comfort of crowding round a glowing fire, to warm the cockles of our heart.

Nostalgia gets us to rip out old gas fires and put in wood/coal burners to relive our tough upbringing and having a cosy christmas! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, one room would be heated, but the rest of the property (open plan bungalow) would be cold

It doesn't matter if the rest of the property is cold. Those of us with open fires understand why this is the case.
One warm room is all you need when heating with solid fuel.
In any case an open plan bungalow is an advantage as the heat will migrate better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back