Multi Powered Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 4 bedroom house with a gas boiler (Stelrad Group Ideal Mexico) powered central heating system. Downstairs is fitted with low level radiators and upstairs with slim solid radiators (no fins). The boiler is 30 years old, but has been serviced regularly by previous owners. The downstairs radiators are particularly poor at emitting heat and upstairs only marginally better.

The main room has a gas guzzling fire venting up the chimney and the hot water is supplemented by 2 solar panels fitted around 1985.

I'd like to remove the gas fire and replace it with an enclosed wood burner. Looking on the internet you can get a wood burner that heats the hot water and can supply a couple of radiators for a little bit more money. Is it technically possible to have a system as follows; hot water powered by solar, wood burner and/or gas boiler; central heating main bedroom and living room radiators powered by wood burner or whole system powered by gas boiler. Assuming it is possible, any thoughts on maintenance problems or running problems caused by the increased complexity?

Sponsored Links
Yes, lots of complexity breeds special problems. Clearly your life is not busy enough.

A Durnsley neutraliser is designed to mix different heat sources, you will find details on the web.

I went through this exercise with a friend who I used to work with.

Whilst it is possible, its not really worth the bother and complexity.

After meeting the fire supplier's representative they decided to put in a larger heat only fire!!!

Tony

Look at a thermal store (heat bank) with a solar coil. Perfect for what you are doing. Is your mains water pressure and flow good?

Sponsored Links
Yes, lots of complexity breeds special problems. Clearly your life is not busy enough.

A Durnsley neutraliser is designed to mix different heat sources, you will find details on the web.

I find they are waste of very expensive time. A thermal store does the same thing and much, much more.

Agile wrote

Whilst it is possible, its not really worth the bother and complexity.

Typical reply from someone with no knowledge in the art of integrating and combining multiple heat source heating systems and judging by your comments you wouldn't have a clue where to start.
Was just looking at one the other day. A bungalow where the client wants to install a woodburner.
I' ve got it sussed. :)
You would have told him something like , " AAh don't bother , its not worth the hassle". :(

Gas4you wrote

Not telling him to replace it with 2 Atmos combis this time then?

Im surprised you aint telling him to fit 2 Valliants of one kind or another. ;)

I only post actual facts from my experience, not googled or theory rubbish from an out of date text book.

2 Vaillants would be no good at all to the OP ;)

I only post actual facts from my experience, not googled or theory rubbish from an out of date text book.

2 Vaillants would be no good at all to the OP ;)

I wouldnt know

I am too fat and lazy to read the WHOLE post

:)

OK, so about £300 for one of these mixers.

Doctor Drivel said:
I find they are waste of very expensive time. A thermal store does the same thing and much, much more.
I could put all the inputs into the thermal store and have it power a the central heating pipework then? I'll do some more reading ...

In my naive understanding I thought I may be able to get away with some electronically controlled 3 way valves - obviously not :confused:

In my naive understanding I thought I may be able to get away with some electronically controlled 3 way valves - obviously not :confused:

You could do that.

The problem is that about 95% of UK plumbing motorized valves are on/off devices. There are very few modulating (0 to 10V, usually) control devices in domestic use ( 3-port mixing or diverting valves, variable speed injection pumps, variable speed circulating pumps, etc..) and there are very few in the plumbing trade who know how they work. Asking the question here is likely to draw a blank.

There is virtually no market for non-standard electronic control devices so, if you found a plumbing contractor capable of installing an intelligent system, he'd have a hard time finding a control device capable of running it. You could go down the BMS route (some do) but the control system would cost more than the heating system.

OK, so about £300 for one of these mixers.

Doctor Drivel said:
I could put all the inputs into the thermal store and have it power a the central heating pipework then? I'll do some more reading ...

Read this web site. They explain it well and a diagram of a heat bank with solar wood burner, etc.
http://www.heatweb.com
I have no connection with this company. many companies make heat banks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back