Wood burning stove and oil fired CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have a charnwood country 4 wood burning stove in the kitchen diner. It is the largest room in the house and the output of the stove was considered right by my calculations and those of the Hetas registered installer who put it in.

Its an excellent stove but as i use very well seasoned dry wood and dont like to shut it down too much (to prevent creosote in the flue liner) the room often gets too hot. The wood is free so it makes sense to use it!

We also have a worcester bosch greenstar heatslave 18/25 which has a rad in each room (average 3 bed semi with 8 rads). As the stove heat does'nt travel very well to the rest of the house we end up turning the rad off in the room with the stove when it is lit. It sometimes gets upto 27 deg C in there.

I need to move the drayton digistat +2 out of the room as it plays havoc with the controls. I have to keep increasing the temp setting on it to stop the boiler turning off and the rest of the house cooling down too much.

Will i have done it any damage by having it in such a hot room?

I am also worried that turning the rad off will effect the efficiency of the boiler or cause it to short cycle etc.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks stu

Sponsored Links
move the stat to another part of the house where the stove cannot affect it, the stat will not be broke by the high temp.
Put it where it only picks up the heat off the average house temp (hall), not to close to a radiator or where a breeze blows throught the house (by frount door).

I am going to put a wood burner in my next house and link it up to my central heating so when the wood is burning the rads are warm and the gas boiler will top the heat up on the system, been in a few houses with wood burning stoves and the heat does make your face glow. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Cheers Ade.

I will move the stat soon. Will have to put a junction box in and extend the wire or look into a wireless one.

When our last boiler died we thought about going fully wood burning but was put off by the amount of fuel needed and its lack of flexibility. As we did'nt have any tanks in the loft the quote turned out too expensive. Linking oil boiler and wood boiler sounded good also but we were put off by the complexity of it all.

If i could only find some legal way of moving some of the heat to another room without too much disruption. I would then be very happy.

stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back