Wood burning stove - do I do it by the regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife really wants a wood burning stove for our Victorian terrace. Normally I would do things by the book but it is likely that the chimney has no liner or it has perished meaning a flue would be required and companies have quoted around £1500 for the flue alone.

A mate suggested putting it in and don't worry about the flue. If I sell the house in the future just take the burner with me or say it was ornamental.

I have read about condensation and other problems such as smoke leaking if no liner/flue is used so I am trying to work out whether not using a flue is really worth the saving of £1500 or in the long run will problems cause more than £1500 to put right?

Sponsored Links
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills.

A chimney fire or house fire kills.

If the missus wants a soot- and ash-producing appliance so much tell her to sell some of her hats and handbags to pay for the flue.

My wife really wants a wood burning stove for our Victorian terrace. Normally I would do things by the book but it is likely that the chimney has no liner or it has perished meaning a flue would be required and companies have quoted around £1500 for the flue alone.

A mate suggested putting it in and don't worry about the flue. If I sell the house in the future just take the burner with me or say it was ornamental.

I have read about condensation and other problems such as smoke leaking if no liner/flue is used so I am trying to work out whether not using a flue is really worth the saving of £1500 or in the long run will problems cause more than £1500 to put right?

Flue temperatures can be higher with a stove than with an open fire, with greater attendant risks. You might be OK but I really wouldn't want to chance it. It will be a building regulations requirement in any case.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Having seen a chimney fire from exactly what you are suggesting (whacking a woodburner straight into a normal chimney) I wouldn't recommend it.

The best bit was they had no idea their house was on fire until I knocked on their door to tell them!

Yes, Hetas installers are very expensive for simple tasks,
Read up on the correct regs, do it with a liner dropped in from top.
Hetas installers are expensive because they signoff their own work on behalf of BC,
The liners and accessories are not expensive.

I'm in a similar situation, DIY install but fully to regs is my plan.
Technically either a certified installer or BC need to sign off on it,
At very least it'll show up in surveys.

Interesting question;
Do you think your buildings insurance would be valid if you put a burner straight into an unlined chimney in contradiction with regs?

anybody who ignors the current regs regarding these is a complete idiot . they hare there to protect lives . when chimney breasts were first built the only thing that neede to be addressed was smoke . its a whole new ball gamr nowthe reason why BCO`s allow installers to sign off their ownn work is simple if anything goes wrong. thedy are`nt responsible and as there are many companies out there installing reguklted or not it`s a minefield. and as the bco is held personnally responsible. it`s very wise. one of the neighbours near us hadone onstalle that was passed by tthe installers bco now everybody has to suffer with the permanent aroma of burning it`s like binfire night every night. remember the bco is employedby the installer. whereas theLBCO has no agendas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back