Wood Burning Stove Question

22 Nov 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Firstly a very Happy and Prosperous New Year to all!! :D

Thanks for reading my post, my question is this:

I would like to install a wood burning stove in place of my real/open fire. I am reading this is possible and has been done before but am having trouble seeing how?

I have a chimney stack which provides enough draw with the open fire, the fireplace has a fire liner, mantle, hearth etc (just to give you an idea of what I have to work with!) I should also add the house was built in 2001 so it's a modern, new chimney that has had regular maintenance.

So, where I am having trouble seeing how this works is with the chimney. I want to install one of these cassette type wood burners (you know.. the nice contemporary looking ones) they effectively "slot in" the chimney. How would the flu system work for this? Would I remove the fire liner and slot this thing in and it would use the chimney as the fire did? Or do I have to slide some pipe up the chimney for it to vent through?

Appreciate the help ...please ask quesions if I've not been clear on anything.

Thanks :D
Sponsored Links
PS this is the type I was looking at:

If u allready have a class 1 flue it will have probabley 7" clay liners that r fine for the new fire. the main concern is how much depth u have & where the outlet on the stove is in relation to how far the old flue is off the back of the opening u have when the fireback is removed. if u had an old house there would be a large builders opening to expose but more modern methods may leave it tight ,but its impossile to tel without seeing it , Id get an experts opinion before going any further.
Hi and thanks for the advice.

Being a modern house with the open fire I suspect the chimney should be to the correct spec already... my question was more related to how I should vent the stove?

For example, would I run a meter of flue pipe up the chimney to then connect to the top of the stove? If thats the case I guess I would use a metal plate with a hole the same diameter as the flue to close the chimney off just above the stove?

Thanks again :D
Sponsored Links
a new house might have been built with a flue designed for a gas fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local