Wood Doors (Paint stripping, and mouldings)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I am in the process of decorating my house, there are some lovely orginal four panelled doors in place that have about 20 layers of paint of them :)

I want to strip them and just wax them but have a few questions if anyone can help me:

The architrave/molding around the 4 panels in the door I would like to replace as from experience I know it is very hard to strip the moldings and getting a good finish, does anyone know where I could buy the molding from and what the correct name for it is as when i do a search for door architrave it shows me the door frame architrave

Many Thanks
Darren

I moved it to here because you asked about a material

Sponsored Links
It could be a astragal moulding
But very likely a ogee moulding that can be bought from any decent timber merchants and as you are replacing all the mouldings/beads I would have thought this would do,just a word of warning thought the colour of the wood in the door will very likely be different to the colour of the new moulding

Hi, thnaks for the reply, yes thats my only worry is the different shades of wood, I have considered having them dipped but have never had it done before so am worried it will ruin the doors, any advise to having them dipped?
what should i look for in a dippining company, haved heard stories of doors warping etc

pennelldj said:
The architrave/molding around the 4 panels in the door I would like to replace as from experience I know it is very hard to strip the moldings and getting a good finish,
A good quality paint stripper and correct tools with steel wool which shouldn't be too difficult to do, the problem I get bored too easily doing this and now have learnt by just taking your time. I take my door off and rest it on a couple of trestle and let the paint stripper do the hard work!

As for dipping, you will regret it :!:

Sponsored Links
I’ve never had any problems with dipping old doors. I’ve just recently dipped eight pine doors, 150 years old, and they have come up beautifully :D . They must have had least 15 coats of gloss each :eek: .
After dipping remember to neutralise them and let them dry out wiping off any white residue if it appears before re-hanging

ocemeer said:
I’ve never had any problems with dipping old doors.
It's all about luck, some you win, some you lose, I have repairs a few doors that been dipped, door warps, joint opening etc, a lot depends on the company that knows what they are doing, it's a risk you have to take sometime.

I think the reason pine was originally painted, was to protect it from woodborers and fungual attack. Bearing this in mind, do you think 150 year old doors will last another 150 years in the nude? (Certainly it has done much better than maintenance free UPVC will ever do) It seems a pity that modern fashions may hasten the demise of artefacts that have lasted so long.

It's still here, IS ANYBODY LISTENING????

++++
Will that do?

M R
++++

Yeeeessssssssss!! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back