Wood-Engineered flooring on Concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete floor in my lounge and passageway. It has a liquid DPM painted onto the surface of it and also solid black vinyl tiles ontop of that. The vinyl tiles are breaking away at various points around the edges where carpet grippers were nailed through them.

I now wish to remove the carpet and install a wood engineered floor. I plan to have this floating ontop of the vinyl tiles. My questions are:

1) do I need to replace the broken vinyl tiles at the edges of the room or can I simply intall the floor ontop (there will be a drop of a few mm at the edges of the broken tiles where it becomes concrete once I remove the broken fragments)

2) do I need some sort of a underlay given that most of the flooring will be on the vinyl tiles.

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
sanjayp said:
1) do I need to replace the broken vinyl tiles at the edges of the room or can I simply intall the floor ontop (there will be a drop of a few mm at the edges of the broken tiles where it becomes concrete once I remove the broken fragments)

2) do I need some sort of a underlay given that most of the flooring will be on the vinyl tiles.

1) you can install the floor floating ontop ot the tiles, as long as the damaged tiles don't create a 'lift' in the floor.

2) yes, rule of thumb is to use DPM and sound-insulation underlayment (now available as a 2-in-1 product) on concrete/screed AND vynil tiled floors to prevent residue moist from concrete/screed and 'sweat' from vynil tiles going into the wooden floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back