Wood Floor Loading and SWL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK this may be a silly question but given a typical 7"x2" floor joist with a span <10'0" and a typical floor board (3/4" Pine) what will the SWL be? joists on 16" centres ,area of floor 242 sq ft (22'0" long x 11'0" wide) mounted on 2'x2'x2' foot cube concrete footings x 8 ground base is London clay?????????? please help,,thanks Tony.

Sponsored Links
aaa i assumed you where doing a calculation on your house and the "red cedar" was a suggested timber that your joists may be made from ;)

i used 3x2" timbers on my shed [12x10ft] spaced 24" appart with support underneath every 24" [slab on sand brick on top with roofing felt to act as a dpm

Sponsored Links
aaa i assumed you where doing a calculation on your house and the "red cedar" was a suggested timber that your joists may be made from ;)

i used 3x2" timbers on my shed [12x10ft] spaced 24" appart with support underneath every 24" [slab on sand brick on top with roofing felt to act as a dpm
I thank you for your help the Joist timber is scandanavian pine 10'0" long 7"x 2" and using the calulator you gave me gives me a span of 8'6" which is perfect for what im doing ,here in the UK people dont need permission to build what is no more than a glorified shed but i myself prefer the Brunell style of engineering BUILD IT BIG OK :D and according to the building regs im 3x over the minimum requirement for the foundation/floor and substructure..i just wanted to know where the minimum requirement was here in the UK..so not bad for a temp structure :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back