Wood for compost heap construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to renew/replace the rotted timber used to construct a compost heap and would appreciate guidance. My main aim is longevity with minimal maintenance but cost is a consideration too.

I currently have a two compartment, side-by-side construction consisting of six concrete posts set into the ground and spaced about a metre apart in a rectangular shape. The concrete posts are approx. one metre heigh (above ground) and slotted. Unsurprisingly, the posts have outlasted the pressure treated 8" x 2" timbers that originally slotted into the posts to form the backs, sides, fronts and the divider between the two compartments. Due to the dampness and warmth of the heaps, the original timbers started to break up after about 5 to 7 years so need to be replaced.

I'm not getting any younger and would ideally like a solution that would see me out (maybe 20 -25 years if possible). I looked into concrete panels and gravel boards but each piece would need to be cut to size to allow slotting into the posts as they usually come in 6 ft lengths (lot's of wastage) - that's just too much work and mess for me. I've recently used plastic "timber" in outdoor projects (veg beds) and been very impressed however, even the 2" thick plastic "timber" is quite bendy and I think wouldn't be strong enough for a compost heap which exerts a surprising amount of sideways force on the holding "panels". Also, a very expensive option.

So I guess that leaves wood. Should I simply replace like-with-like or would sheet material like marine ply be better? Would it help preserve the wood if treated with a protective film, like Blackjack bitumen paint etc? Or would that rub off on clothes too easily? Is there a better surface treatment? All ideas welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would go with the 8 X 2 timbers but fit a sacrificial inner layer of cheap laminate underlay, the stuff on a roll...
Staple the underlay on and then cut panels of the Correx / T-Bord floor protection panels...
https://www.selcobw.com/catalogsearch/results/shop-by/q/correx to fit loose, not fixed, in front of the underlay.
If you do a double or even a triple skin of these cut to fit into each metre wide section then when they perish eventually you can just slide out the front one leaving layer 2 and 3 in place. The advantage of this is that you have a simple replacement panel already sat waiting and it will help with insulation of the heap and also keep seperation between the compost and the timbers.
Selco do a 2mm and a 4mm version and cheap enough to do a few layers.

Hadn't considered a lining approach - most interesting. I'll seriously consider that, thanks.

Sponsored Links
You don't want to make it too air-tight, compost heaps need air for good decomposition.
How about composite decking boards? Should be strong enough for this. Although they're not cheap, £50/m² in minimum pack sizes from Wickes, for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back