Window construction for dummies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wooden window in my 1970s concrete sectional garage has rotted. It is a 2-panes side-by-side rectangular window.
I have ripped it out, saved the glass and am going to construct a replacement from timber.

Any web FAQs on how to build a simple window? Basically it is just a rectangular box with rebates for the glass. But there are many ways to join up the corners -- dowels, mitred joint like a picture frame, mortice, metal joining brackets.

I haven't got many woodworking tools or experience so I'll probably just bang in 4 bits of wood and connect them at corners using metal brackets. Then bang in a divider down the centre. And hope the glass fits.
Should be interesting.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
fair chance it was made from 3x2 or 4x2" par with mortice and tennons rebates for glass and moulded front edge

have you got a table saw!!!!

if to have you can but join timber ripped down to around 1 1/4" then plant on the timber to for a rebate

the actual size depends on your glass size the size of the opening

have you got a router'sharp chisel or table saw

I just have a big saw + a junior hacksaw. And a chisel. No router. I have a basic power drill.

The current window seems to have been constructed on-site from bits of timber. The corners are mortice & tenon. And there are a few "half width" overlap lap joints. The glass rebates seem to be have constructed from strips of timber glued or nailed on. There is no window sill.

The window doesn't have to look great. It just needs to let in light and keep out the rain.
Without expanding my tool selection I may have to go for L-shaped brackets to join up the corners. The sides of the window are fastened to the concrete sections using long 4 inch screws (now rusted).

Thanks
Mike

In the end, I managed to make a reasonable window frame using timber lengths and a few brackets.
Came time to put the glass in. I found that the glass was perfectly square. But the frame was not. After a bit of hacking about the glass eventually went in. Hopefully the putty will cover up my misalignment.

Mike

Sponsored Links
well done mike :D :D :D
i was writing an answer on friday at the same time i was on msn looking at picture links and every time i closed the pictures it closed diy not!!!!!

after 3 times i gave up :cry: :cry: :cry:
i hadnt worked out the connection to msn at the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back