wood / log burners

jlacd, heat rises so any heat generated by any fire will rise. A flue is only a posh name for a tube to exhaust the hot gases.

There are safety regulations in place for distance and height of exhaust stack or chimney from your property (call it what you will).

Take a look at www.trustcorgi.com/ for these safety gas rules and installations.

Thanks Rich... I'm not interested in gas again, but if I could put another wood-burner into the existing space, with minimal disruption I'd be a happy bunny!

No, I meant that the waste gas from the log burner which is potentially dangerous so the positioning of the flue is very important and the details are shown on the trustcorgi website.

I quite agree with you over wanting a simple installation process though I think it's actually simpler to install a log burner on an external wall than using an existing chimney.

By the looks of things a dual-fuel burner may be the best option for me.

Sponsored Links
External flues have to be double walled for insulation, making them much more expensive than flexible liners up the existing chimney. The reason being that the cold external air will 'fall' down the liner causing smoky smells in the room, from the fire when not in use. Also the condensation forming on the inner wall of the flue, drops back into the fire causing premature rust. Another problem can be the initial start up of the fire, as the flue is so cold, it takes a few attempts with loosely crumpled up newspaper to burn hot enough to start the up draw. Causes a bit of smoke in the room - which soon clears :rolleyes:

All this adds to the fun of wood burners, it's like having your very own steam engine, you end up giving it a name :oops:

If you read up on all the rules and regulations - you would never put one in.

I've got a Clearview too, excellent stove.

Do not underestimate the importance of a correct installation, the flue is not to be skimped on, or you will have a plethora of issues, some now, some later.

Something which surprised me was to match the size of log burner to the size of the room - too small and you don't heat the room up enough, and too big and you have to throttle the thing back which makes for inefficient use of the logs.

You will have a VERY big room if the woodburner is too small. You will be unlikely to find a stove of less than 5kW, and if this is continuous it will need a lot of space. Ours is 5kW, and this time of year a bucket of wood a night is just toooooo much, even so it heats three rooms.

The problem with big stoves is that they can't be used much as the amount of heat is stifling. Woodburners MUST be run HOT. Run cool will tar the flue and sometime you will have a chimney fire, How do I know? :oops: Don't be tempted to put logs on at night and shut it down so it burns through the night. This will send smoke (fuel) up the flue and it will be deposited as tar. (Ill informed halfwits will advise banking it up and closing it down).

Sponsored Links
Have you considered one of these

http://www.esse.com/stoves/multifuel_wood/300.html

They fit into an existing fireplace and are easy to install. I bought one last year (the 300 model) and fitted it in my kitchen fireplace. The heat output is amazing. I burn a mix of wood and coal.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've taken a look at the site but no prices are provided, it looks like a very modern design which is what I'm looking for - also liked the look of the 525 multi-fuel/woodburning stove.

I've also been looking over the Morso 6140 but it seems hellish expensive, and the Firebelly FB1 which is a 6KW stove.

Don't want to get in trouble with the mods by advertising where i bought mine, so, if you do a uk google search "esse" you will find lots of suppliers. Expensive to ship due to weight but hopefully your nearest stockists will be listed and you can collect yourself (if interested).

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk
hi i found this forum a good place to start.

I am in the process of renovating a timber frame shack by the sea after downsizing and looking to use a burner as our only heat source(small single storey building)...but i reckon wood burners are the way forward if you can guarantee a suppy of wood of course...

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/

the pioneer 400 comes with a small oven for slow cooking as another way of cutting fuel costs added to the effecieny levels of modern burners and smokefree zone use and they are a uk manufacturer adding to the wholistic benifits of not importing goods from overseas etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back