Wood Panel treatment help bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am after some advice on how to treat/protect wood paneling in a bathroom.
I had to replace a large section of the existing tongue and groove softwood cladding due to a repair that was carried out. I am trying to match my new paneling to the old as close as possible to the old panels but i haven't got a clue what was used to protect the wood. Now comparing it to the older paneling, I cannot tell if its oil wax how they got the effect, so I am hoping for a bit of advice.
Below are two pictures, the first is the original it seems to be clear wax/oil or something else but with a white appearance coming through?
the second picture is the new wood that i added.
Any advise please?
I plan to at least use liberon knotting solution on the knots
Thank you

1.jpg

3.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like an oil or wax with a white tint. Judging from the residue in the grooves, i'd suggest it was a wax.

Something like this https://osmouk.com/product/wood-wax-finish/

It might also just be the natural finish after paint's been stripped off it.

ah right so you can get white in a wax ?, i had only spotted "clear and natural looks" on the likes of screw fix so assumed the white was something else on the wood. So would you say maybe sand it down and do a few coats of wax? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd second the Osmo oil.

The original finish looks like a really poor attempt at "liming". I suspect that someone may have used a very, very dilute white primer/etc and brushed it on before sealing it. Unfortunately, they made a bit of a mess below the horizontal moulding.

Try dilute paint on an offcut or try the white Osmo. The latter however will not replicate the brushed effect.

Thanks for the responses
:)
so they had poorly with a brush white diluted wood paint then waxed over it?

Thanks for the responses
:)
so they had poorly with a brush white diluted wood paint then waxed over it?

Possibly.

it is hard to tell.

I would be inclined to sand the whole lot back and start from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back