Wood primer & undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm after advice on decorating the window boards for my living room bay window.

I will acknowledge now that had I known earlier what I know now, I would have opted to just remove and replace them with some MDF boards. I didn't think I had the requisite carpentry skills and was trying to keep costs down.

I now find myself in a race to get the room ready for Christmas.

When we moved in I originally gave the boards a coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer (waterbased) followed by 3 coats of Deluxe Trade Diamond Satinwood. It all looked very nice but a year later some of the original defects have worked their way through and in one section the paint chipped off revealing a past coat of paint.

View media item 108144
So I then made the naive decision to strip it all back in order to properly prepare the surface. I thought this would be a weekend job but despite enrolling a random orbital sander, plenty of 40-grit paper and a scraper, it has been slow going.

View media item 108205 View media item 108204
I have been wearing a P3 filter half-face mask.

I did try some No Nonsense paint & varnish remover but it was slow and messy so I have gone back to mechanical methods.

I have got two of the boards to a partial state of bareness and I'm prepared to compromise with the remaining 3 to get them back to a previous sound coat with a good key.

What I need now is advice on a suitable primer that will seal the surface as this is real wood rather than MDF and cover imperfections to provide an even surface for my topcoat.

I normally avoid oil-based paints but to avoid having to repeat this I will even consider an oil-based primer/undercoat but the finish coat must be waterbased as these have always stayed white for me which is what I want.

Please give me the benefit of your wisdom!

Sponsored Links
Not hand any reply to this but have decided to go with Zinsser B-I-N Shellac Primer/Sealer.

Any recommendations for an undercoat and wood filler for the joins?

Possibly Toupret Fill-Flex. Those joints between the window boards don't look to be connected in any way (just butted up) so you'll more than likely need a flexible filler as opposed to a conventional 2-pack wood filler. Primers, I'm afraid you'll need to ask the decos about, but in a window I'd use something oil-based as opposed to a water-based primer, partly because it won't raise the grain anywhere near as much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back