wood sizes different

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had joists in my house 4x2 i removed the chimney and my builder made the joist up by bolting another 4x2, hoewver the new joist
comes up shorter by half an inch. with a measuring tape his joist is 3.5x1.5, but hes saying the builders merchant he got it from is what a 4x2 is???

why is this???

Sponsored Links
He's bought 4x2 par (planed) or CLS, which, while often informally referred to as 4x2, actually comes in smaller.

You can buy proper 'old money' 4x2.

Is this a full length joist or just a small section to infill around the chimney breast trimmer joists?

Does the new section sit lower than the previous one did, or make the floor uneven/springy?

he filling in the upstairs joist to the ceiling, going towards the loft.
its not a full lenght joist, just to the fill up the exisiting joist..
what joist should he be using ?? can you no longer by the same size??

Sponsored Links
he filling in the upstairs joist to the ceiling, going towards the loft.
its not a full lenght joist, just to the fill up the exisiting joist..
what joist should he be using ?? can you no longer by the same size??

He could've bought same size or planed a larger piece to fit. If it's only a short section of timber then the slight difference won't matter, as long as it's fitted level/flush with the rest of what's there.

If he was replacing a full length floor or ceiling joist then that would be another matter. I wouldn't worry about it.

He either told you that they don't supply the right size because:

a) He doesn't know what he's on about.
b) He popped down to the local DIY shop that didn't have the right size.
c) He told you that, because he couldn't be bothered to explain about size differences and usage of timber.
d) All of the above.

the gap hes filling in is where the chimney breasts has been removed...
so if the joist difference is 0.5 inch between the one hes putting on and the one thats there, is that ok. or is it to much difference??

the gap hes filling in is where the chimney breasts has been removed...
so if the joist difference is 0.5 inch between the one hes putting on and the one thats there, is that ok. or is it to much difference??

Talking about a couple of feet maximum span, it will be ok. (Assuming the there is a trimmer that it's fixed to, and not just used to extend the existing full length joist)

so if what he has got is called cls, and it comes up 3.5 x 1.5 what is my original joist which measures up 4x2 called?? i will tell him to get the non-cls joist, but wot is the name for it??

It's called...........4x2!!! If the jobs already been done then don't worry about it, as I said it won't make the slightest bit of difference on a very short span, and on a section of floor that won't be getting walked about on.

Probably a bit late and irrelevant but he should have asked for 4x2 sawn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back