Wood T&G on bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a T&G feature wall painted white in the bathroom. I wonder if anyone has done this before and would have some good advice.

I have looked at boards available and seen various options like untreated bare softwood, or a primed MDF, or shiplap type boards used in garden fences so treated.

I am moving toward the primed MDF, then painted white with suitable protection barrier white paint. Is MDF the best choice?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Wood panelling of any kind is not recommended for a bathroom esp if its on an outside wall. The reason why is because moisture can get behind the woodwork and begin to rot the back, and any framing that its fixed to.

So this is where I am confused, and apologies I know I am not the expert.

- The ceiling of the bathroom has pine board T&G already. I revently bought the house and that work was done about 10 years ago.
- There are also lots of posts here about T&G in bathrooms and maybe it's 50/50 on the advice.
- Looking up Pinterest there are lots of shiplap bathrooms.
- Also so many older houses have wainscotting around the bathroom wall.

So there must be successful T&G projects in a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Provided the cavity behind the panelling is ventilated and the humidity in the room is kept under control then timber panelling should not present a problem. My panelling is American Oak oiled frint and back with Danish oil. 200mm wide and 10mm thick. Loose fitted into a slot under the shelf and retained by beading on the floor. Not shown are small spacers under the panels to raise them into the slot under the shelf. Using spacers was easier than cutting each panel to be an exact fit.

bathroom wall_21.jpg
bathroom wall_34.jpg
( wall yet to be re-decorated )

Most of the pre primed t+g mdf you can get is moisture resistant mdf, so as long as it's not sitting in puddles of water it's fine to use.
The light blue panelling in the picture is t+g mr mdf from a job I did about 4years ago, still do a lot of work for the customer and the panelling looks as good as the day it was fitted (the bathroom is in a 10yr olds onsuite)

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 122
You could use wood effect uvpc and not have to worry about moisture ptoblems.

As to whether timber cladding in a bathroom is a good idea or not I think comes down to how you treat the room, for example myself I open my bathroom window fully, waft excessive damp air out of the window when I've finished, dry all the tiles, the bathroom is left well ventilated, my wife on the other hand, is the polar opposite, it's like stepping into a bloody monsoon after she's been in there!

had matchboard panelling around the bottom of my bath for about 5 years with no problem.
MDF wouldn't be my first choice because if it does get wet and blows it will be like that for ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back