Wood Timber Advice (Dry rot/wood worm)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly i must admit im a glass half empty kind of guy and freely admit i think the world will end if i use 1 incorrect fixing, however im looking for some advice.

I am renting a house that i will be buying in the next few weeks! it is a property built in the mid 1700's with majority of original timber work in the roof space.

Having done the final kind of rounds as it were i noticed a couple of interesting items in the loft that i need some advice with.

1. Existence of woodworm, i don't believe it is current as there are no signs of dust and the holes are darkened in colour and there are no signs of worm in the newer repaired areas, should this be a concern?

2. White powdery substance running the length of newer pieces of timber on the top edge shown in the pic below, i have prodded it and it is solid, any thoughts?

3. Finally a sap like residue on one beam! again any thoughts?

I have been told 'look its an old house there are no leaks in the roof its been standing for 300 years whats the problem?' (by my wife!) should i be adopting this thought process?

Please see below some piccys

[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back