Wood Treatment for a new Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am getting close to completing my new bike shed, and I'm confused by the myriad of options for treating and protecting the wood.

I used pressure treated timber for the structural elements which I then gave a couple of coats of some old fence treatment I had knocking around, I'm happy with that.

The exterior is soft-wood ship-lap board and here is where I am a little confused. I want to get some immediate protection on there as I can't really trust the summer right now, but I haven't yet decided on the final finish for the exterior, I'm undecided between stain and paint and it will probably depend on what the missus does with the rest of the garden.

The market seems to be flooded with products that have a variety of names:
- Wood preserver
- Wood treatment
- Wood stain
- Wood oil
- Wood sealer
- Wood protector

Marketing bull-**** aside, what are the major differentiators between these products (I'm guessing some are water based, some oil based, some solvent based?). Does a 'sealer' actually do anything different to a 'preserver'?

What should I look for in a product to temporarily protect the wood that can be painted or stained over at a later date?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I recently had a similar problem - and went for Bedec Barn paint. It comes highly recommended, though if you have pressure treated (tanalised) timbers they need to weather for a while. The rest of the soft wood is just asking for this stuff. If you pick a light colour, go for some Bedec stain block first. It's water based and is sprayable too.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back