HELP: How to treat a (5 year old) pressure-treated fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I have has a 5-year-old fence, made of pressure treated timber. It has not been treated since it was installed. Colour is still of the wood, but greyish in parts, and condition is good (in my non-professional opinion).
I'm confused whether I should treat this fence in any way to protect it, or leave it as it is. I read on-line but got confused with the different products available (wood stain, sealer, water repellent, oil/water based wood protector etc.).
I prefer to leave the natural colour as it is with a clear product, or just add a touch of colour with a semi transparent product, so I don't want a solid paint.
I am only interested in an easy to apply by brush or roller product. I will not buy special equipment or go to the trouble of power washing/sanding etc, but if there is an easy way to protect the fence and enhance it's look with a coat or two of something - I will definitely do it.
Any advice will be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi go for a cuprinol wood preserver which comes in clear, if you don't want to shell out the cash for it then there are other clear preservers on the market.

Putting something with a clear finish isn't really going to enhance the appearance. If you want to change how it looks then a water-based shed/fence paint will give a see-through colour. Some of them have wax in to make them water repellant. If you just want to protect from the elements then this has good reviews and is a decent price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back