How to clean and maintain or seal treated timber used for fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some treated timber for a picket fence to use for the rails and a bumch of salvaged roofing battens for the pales.

The battens are very dirty full or grime and I wanted to know how I can clean them before I apply some kind of seal on them. They appear to be the splintered type so simply sanding down doesnt really make any difference but the timber is pretty good when you drill through it.

what household products can I use to clean these battens. Im assuming they are treated but cant really be sure. Would scrubbing them down with baking soda and vinegar be ok. I amy one has any other tips please advise?

Secondly what product do I use to protect the timber. Do i use a wood treatment or stain or exterior paint? Please advise with examples of some products.

What about the treated timber which I think is pressure treated. What product does one use to maintain pressure treated timber - do i use a wood treatment, stain or paint. Can pressure treated timber be painted?

Basically I want to use a product that will require the least maintenance. Dont want to keep painting every year.

Ant tips and advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back