Wood varnish satin low sheen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to sand down the top of one of those Ikea tables which are made of 1" cubes of wood glued together.
What kind of varnish is good to use that doesn't look like a thick shiny glaze?
I did try using linseed but ... over time it dissipates and staining occurs, so I would prefer a different finish but one that is subtle.
Can anyone recommend something ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've used Polyvine Dead Flat on some oak veneered doors and it's nice. No type of varnish will not look "thick" if you use too many coats of it, however.

Have you considered Osmo Polyx Oil

https://osmouk.com/product/polyx-oil-original/

I use it for doors, floors, worktops, etc. When it starts to wear down, you just apply another coat. When varnish wears down, you have to sand the whole lot back. Another advantage is that you will not have any brush marks. You can apply it by brush, roller or rag and then wipe away any excess.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered Osmo Polyx Oil

https://osmouk.com/product/polyx-oil-original/

I use it for doors, floors, worktops, etc. When it starts to wear down, you just apply another coat. When varnish wears down, you have to sand the whole lot back. Another advantage is that you will not have any brush marks. You can apply it by brush, roller or rag and then wipe away any excess.

Thanks man, I got 350ml of the satin Osmo oil and it looks good. Put 4 coats on over 2 days, 2 days to dry ... very happy with it, only issue was if putting on too much it can collect in low bumps that need to be rubbed off before the next coat. Photo

IMG_4582.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back