Woodburner flue height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one. I can't find the required dimmensions for chimney height. I think that if the chimney is under 1500mm horozontally from the apex it must be 600mm higher than the apex and if it is under 2300mm from the apex it must be as high as the apex. Is this broadly right. I know i once found a link which explained it but I cant find it now.

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
Just look up www.odpm.gov.uk and see building regs. Then ignore what you are ALLOWED to do, and build the chimney much higher than the ridge. If you look at old houses you will see chimneys are higher than the ridge,....not for nothing was it done this way. Many problems are caused by short chimneys.

Refering to page 26 of
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/downloadable/odpm_breg_600285.pdf

The horozontal distance from the apex to the chimney is 1500mm therefore the chimney height should be just above the apex to meet the regs, but should be 600mm? above to give a flue that will work? On paper I think that the height from the point where the chimney breaks through the roof to the apex will be 1000mm, therefore an additional 500mm length should be close to the 600mm above the apex. Does this make good sense?

David

Sponsored Links
The best people to speak to are Euroheat (they have a website) they are frequently having to sort out chimney problems, and they produce probably the best designed domestic woodburner available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back