Woodburner chimney height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an extension at the back of the house which is the main living room area. It is a large space, approx 9m x 4m with a sloping roof which is 3.5m at the highest point. The house is heated with gas ch. The two rads in the big living room don't heat the room adequately. So I am considering installing a woodburner.

If I have a woodburner installed, will the top of the chimney need to be higher than the windows on the main house? Higher than the apex of the roof on the main house?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the minimum height in any case is 4.5m. There are a number of high efficiency contemporary fanned flue pellet and log burners now available. These have flue systems with more variations similar to gas. However though these are tried and tested in some of the most stringent areas such as Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland and Austria our outdated building regs lump them together with open flue coal appliances when it comes to fluing. This is aggravated by bodies (or dead bodies) such as HETAS who far from embracing this lifeline to the solid fuel industry seem content to sit with fingers up their a*** waiting for the return of coal. Well at least it's a fuel that's slightly less fossilized than they are.

This is aggravated by bodies (or dead bodies) such as HETAS who far from embracing this lifeline to the solid fuel industry seem content to sit with fingers up their a*** waiting for the return of coal. Well at least it's a fuel that's slightly less fossilized than they are.

lol

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back