Blown air system to move woodburner heat around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Firstly, thanks to all that contributed to my other thread, this is a great place to find information and build my understanding.

Our problem is how to heat the downstairs and stop the kitchen from getting so cold. Ramble to follow...

So to recap - we have a 210L thermal store (TS), sealed system gas boiler, woodburner (Stovax 8kw to back boiler, 4kw to room) & solar - all feeding into the thermal store. We want to minimise the gas we use. This is the first winter with this set up and are amazed at how much wood we get through. The wood is a mixed bag and probably nowhere near as good / dry as it could be. The house is 3 storey semi - couple of hundred years old, fully insulated roof, double glazed. Ground floor has the kitchen as the extension (back) and the living room with woodburner (front). Back door is the most commonly used door (with letting dogs out etc).

We have a couple of problems when we don't have the gas on:
- the woodburner can not keep the house warm and the TS charged with hot water - you get a cool house and luke warm water.
- The kitchen is still the coldest part of the house by far and being "relatively" colder than the rest of the house increases this feeling of cold.
-- this is compounded by the heat in the living room when the fire is going well (i.e. the fire is getting the room really warm).
- it would be great to keep the ground floor warm during the day when we are working from home, but not need to warm the rest of the house.
- when you sit in one chair in the lounge there is a cool draft through the door.

So I thought rather than introduce more plumbing to consider pushing air into the kitchen from the living room. So a pipe from kitchen to just by the fire to push air from kitchen direct to fire, which would generate a +'ve pressure in the lounge, pushing air out through the dining room and into the kitchen. I was going to experiment with just putting some flexible 4 inch pipe on between the rooms and an extractor type fan to begin with. Anyone got any thoughts, suggestions, experience?

Regards,
Jason

Sponsored Links
I love the way that people expect a woodburner to do what you would use a 15Kw or 18kw boiler to do.
Sorry Jason, no real euggestions but you can buy an eco fan from various places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxQSnIxXi8

but I don't know how effective they are at moving heat from the main room. Beware, there are cheaper inferior products according to the original maker..

As an aside, why would you have an ugly dirty thing like that in the video? (not just the presenter :) ) And the wood insects.........

As an aside, why would you have an ugly dirty thing like that in the video? (not just the presenter ) And the wood insects.........

Because its better than having a dirty great gas boiler in your living room and beligerant gas men coming in and moaning about the look of the solid fuel stove.

Sponsored Links
I personally dont think your system would work that well imho, you would need a very powerfull fan for a decent output, and obviously the longer the duct the more cooler the air! a plinth heater or another rad would be my route .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back