Thermal syphon issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thermal store is now in, woodburner heating it via a loading valve (direct). Anyone using a woodburner to heat water, loading valve is a splendid thing- stove heats up much more quickly and seems to burn more evenly and use less fuel to achieve the required effect, all good.

But back to the problem. Initially I had the woodburner running the heating directly and connected the utility room rad so that whenever the pump was running it got heat. Fine. I kept that layout with the thermal store but now as soon as the store gets warm that radiator also gets (and stays) warm despite the pipe run being a big up and down.....

Question- at the moment (from attached scruffy Paint drawing) you can see that the feed for the utility room rad is teed into the main 22mm above where the feed from the store attaches and inside the motorised valves (see theory above). If I move that tee down to the bottom of the 22mm feed will that defeat the thermal syphon or do I have to bite the bullet and put the tee into the downstairs motorised valve zone (or put a clever TRV on it)?

Second question- when downstairs only is running the upstairs rads get a bit warm- I suspect (though haven't proved it yet) that there's a bit of reverse circulation from the return. Do backcheck valves work in heating pipes or is there another better solution?

TIA
heatstore1.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is fairly close already- about 600mm in pipework, about 400mm as the crow flies. Not shown on the shoddy sketch but there's a full brick wall between store and distribution pipework...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back