Thermal store or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve spent weeks researching this and thought I’d made a decision but then someone threw a spanner in the works so hoping for some good advice on this forum!

I live in rural France and have NO heating source other than wood. At present I have a small woodburner in the kitchen and electric radiators in the other rooms we live in. The woodburner is alight from 7am-7pm throughout the winter so I thought it would be a good idea to distribute the heat produced to the rest of the house.

I have since bought a Villager AHI (14kw) integral boiler and have been contemplating the best way to plumb it in. I don’t necessarily need it for DHW as this is supplied by a mains pressure ‘chauffe-eau’. I do want it to heat approx 12 radiators throughout the house (total heat requirement approx 14kw). Relying on gravity-feed only isn’t an option as the pipe runs will have to run up-down-and back up again in some places.

I had resigned myself to a thermal store, but the only place for one would be where the ‘chauffe-eau’ is at the moment and size / weight restrictions limits me to a 300 litre thermal store. Because it would replace the ‘chauffe-eau’ means that the TS will need an electric element for heating DHW in the summer, or at a later stage I could add solar input into it. However the costs are mounting and I’m now looking at well over £2k for a 300 litre TS with electric element, solar coil, panels and Laddomat charging unit. I had thought the TS system would be great and would be sufficient to distribute the stored heat for quite a while before I would need to light the stove again but the answers I’m getting back at the moment suggest it would only distribute heat for approx 40mins – 1 hour before becoming cold. And of course if I’ve used that heat to warm the house up before I get out of bed it means there wouldn’t be any heat left in the tank to heat the DHW, so no shower first thing. I’d have to wait until the woodburner was relit and reheat the tank.

Do I really need to spend £2k or can I install something much more simple?

So now I’m re-thinking…keep it simple! Can I simply connect the woodburner to a pumped radiator circuit and if so, would a Laddomat still be an advantage to prevent cold water from entering the woodburner? I wouldn’t need DHW so there would be no tank / cylinder…just the radiators. Of course I will have to make way for 1 or 2 rads (without TRV’s) to be gravity fed in case of a power cut to act as heatsinks, but would I have to use all 4 tappings of the stove to do that or can it be incorporated at the start of the pumped CH circuit. I realise that the house won’t be warm and toasty first thing in the morning but the £2k I would spend on a TS would go a long way to pay for running a small electric rad in the bedroom for an hour before I get up!

My question then really is this…a simple but safe pumped woodburner CH system without DHW or gas/oil boiler back-up.

Sponsored Links
You do seem to want to spend a lot of money and achieve very little.

The stove output may be 14 kW with the best fuel on max but with typical fuel would be perhaps 7 kW.

Then there is the heat output to the water which is usually about half of the total.

I expect you are going to be disapointed whatever you do.

Are you near Angouleme? If so I could pop round and meet you!

Tony

A cheapo combi boiler and a couple of lpg 47kg bottles is going to out perform your wood burner by a mile.

Second choice would be air source heat pump. Would probably work
quite well in france where it is a bit warmer. Don't know if electric
is cheap or not over in France.

What the op needs is a time served plumber with the knowledge of this system at his fingertips and he'll have a ch system that will out perform any combi boiler and a lot cheaper to run.

Sponsored Links
Acorn, there are a lot of non-committal posts not helping you much. You need the big picture. Seeing as you have already bought a Villager AHI solid fuel stove using a thermal store is the only obvious choice as it can use an electric immersion, solid fuel and solar panels to heat the hot water and central heating rads. That is the normal way of doing it. Most do that in rural areas in new installations.

Is the chauffe-eau an LPG multi point water heater? If it is a combi this can be hooked to the thermal store as well adding another heat source. With clever switch-over valves it can be kept and used as backup for hot water. Backup is essential in rural locations. The thermal store can be heated by all the different types of heat sources. You could even make provision for a heat pump as well for the future.

All you need to know right now is that the thermal store can be heated by all the differing heat sources, do the CH and hot water at mains pressure. You now need a plumber who knows how to connect it all up. The thermal store maker may give you that information. It is wise to make provision to add on heat sources in the future like a heat pump, which is not cheap.

All I am doing is stating the obvious which you seem to have grasped anyhow.

Thank you for your replies.

Agille - no we're on the Normandy / Brittany border! I don't mind spending the £2k if it does what i want but I suspect it won't! I know the output will be much less than stated by the manufacturer but any heat delivered to some radiator will be better than none at all - have spent 11 years here with no heating so some is better than none!

dcawkwell - sorry LPG is not an option. They don't do the big bottles here, just the 12kg for cooking. To get bottled gas means having a 3000 litre gas tank installed in the garden somewhere for which you have to pay rent. I simply don't have the space or budget for it.

norcon - have asked 6 local plumbers to come and have a look. Only 2 have bothered to turn up, one of which wants €55k to install a 40kw log gasifying boiler and 2000 litre thermal store in a dedicated boiler room to heat the house plus 2 outbuildings that might become gites in about 15 years time. The second doesn't want to know as it would be an open system and they all work on sealed systems here.

London Chap - The chauffe-eau is a 200 litre cylinder heated by electric immersion (off peak) and is the normal DHW system over here.
The TS manufacturers I have spoken to have all advised that I would need oil/gas boiler back-up to run a TS efficiently and have expressed concerns about using it with just wood as the main heating source (albeit with an element and possibly solar at a later stage). My main concern is that the 300 litre tank of stored heat will only last 40mins-1 hour before having to relight the stove so is it really worth spending that sort of money on a TS if I can just direct the heat directly to the rads?

We ran the wood stove here last evening as it was quite cold and we wanted to test it.

It was -18 C here last winter and most of the rads were damaged.

A wood stove needs to be kept on 24/7 and reloaded every hour! otherwise its gas or electricity!

Tony

The chauffe-eau. I know, those unvented cylinders that drip into tundishes. Heat the thermal store by only the wood stove can be problem. But it can also have an electric immersion for when it is not lit, doing the same as you have now in heating the chauffe-eau cylinder.

You can keep the chauffe-eau and heat it by electric. Then connect up the wood burner stove and heat the CH directly. That is the cheapest installation option. Your hot water is not heated by the cheaper solid fuel.

The thermal store is future proof if you leave provision for solar panels, oil boiler and a heat pump. Then you have covered "all" fuel bases to heat the CH and hot water, including electric, and still have mains pressure hot water as before.

It is what your aims are in the future that matters.

The chauffe-eau is an interesting unit compared with UK unvented!

It runs on direct mains pressure and is protected by a 10 Bar pressure relief valve which deals with both expansion and any over pressure.

We have four here, one heated by the wood stove and then feeding a second which is electrically heated as required.

One had frozen last winter and the concave base became convex! I took that out of service yesterday and fed its outlets from the stove heated pair.

Tony

You can keep the chauffe-eau and heat it by electric. Then connect up the wood burner stove and heat the CH directly. That is the cheapest installation option. Your hot water is not heated by the cheaper solid fuel.

That's exactly what I want to do now! But trying to find advice on connecting the stove directly to the CH without any tanks / stores is what I'm having trouble with!

There is little point in having the wood stove feeding the CH via a thermal store as that adds less than an hour to the heating time.

Perhaps the simplest way to ensure a warm bedroom in the morning is an off peak electric storage heater.

Cutting the logs to go in the fire takes me about 30 min for 3-4 hours burning!

Tony

Number 1 use an electric shower don't put in a heat store unless it's a very big one also in France with the heat make your own solar panel it's easy my mate live down south near la Bruges and his panel is great cost him about 250 Quid to make it feeds an unvented tank gives him nearly all his hot water free you can get tanks with loads of coils so take time with design and you'll save money but French plumbers are expensive feed some of the solid fuel heat into your tank as a heat sink in case some of your rads shut down that way you'll be safe as well

Acorn it is true that solid fuel boilers need cylinders in case they over-heat. They also need heat dump rads, etc. There are some valves that relieve high temperature by dumping hot water to the drain when the temperature gets too high in the small cylinder. These temperature dump valves. I see no reason why they cannot be fitted to a direct rad system that is open vented. That will save installation costs.

You may want to have want to have a small buffer cylinder for solid fuel heating with an appropriate high temperature relief valve. But try and keep it vented by a small CH header tank.

Oilboffin, if you are going to buy a "tank", I think you mean cylinder, with lots of coils in it you may well as make it a full thermal store which accepts many types of heat sources, and do away with the existing chauffe-eau. Electric showers are pathetic. I hate them.

Quite right l chap but with a store if you lose the heat you can't have a shower with electric if water pressure is ok and kw is high enough you can get a good shower I know e showers army everyone's cup of tea but they are handy I did by the way mean cylinder thanks for the correction slip of my typing finger still tired from the Celtic festival last night in stornoway
The proclaimers were great

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back